Chapter Twenty-Nine - Divided (1/1)

"This is only the beginning, Friends," Demetrius' voice was hardly more than a whisper as he gazed into the fire of their campsite deep in the woods. "This is the day I have always known was coming. Still, I do not want to believe it. Mankind has turned against us."

Tahir put his head in his hands. Once again he found himself hating what he was. Everything he loved, humans destroyed for stupid, selfish reasons. His village, his home, his mother, the forests and animals; and now his wife and friends were in jeopardy. He would not stand for it. He would do something this time. Francis would pay. This time...

"We must attack now, Demetrius!" Kraven paced around the fire. "We are powerful. We are the rightful rulers of this planet. We should—"

"Which is why we are responsible for maintaining the peace," Alexander interrupted.

"They are frightened and misled," Demetrius continued. "Should we give them reason to fear and hate us?"

"They do so without reason, we might as well. I'd expect such cowardice from you, Demetrius. But you, Alexander? You will let those humans hunt you down?"

"You seem to forget that you too are human, Kraven, and that you are the pupil here."

As the three wizards argued, it came to Tahir that he was wrong. To hurt people; the defenseless, the innocent, or the confused—to satisfy his own selfish interests, made him just like a human. He was ashamed to even be considering harming people. No matter how he tried, he kept disappointing himself. His stupid human nature revealed itself every chance it got. He hated himself; he didn't deserve his company. He wanted to leave.

Look at me, my friends are in danger but here I am feeling sorry for myself.

Destiny, sensing his frustration, gently laid a hand on his shoulder. Her touch startled him out of his thoughts. He glanced at her concerned face and then stared at the ground. He didn't want to look at her; he was too ashamed. She closed her eyes and sent her thoughts to his mind, where only he could hear.

Tahir, you are different, and you are a good man. Don't judge yourself so harshly. Demetrius chose you from all the men in the world, and so did I.

Tahir finally looked up at her. She opened her eyes to return his gaze.

"It's going to be alright, Tahir," she whispered. He nodded slowly.

"I'm sorry," he whispered back. He rested his head on her shoulder. She hugged him gently.

"Kraven, you do not understand," Demetrius tried to explain to his pupil. "This is not the thinking of one King or one Kingdom, but of the world. This is a change in the mindset of humankind. It is a battle we cannot win. If we slaughter them, then we have succumbed to evil. If we conquer them, they will truly fear and hate us. They will learn magic for themselves and rise up against us. If we are defeated, then all is lost."

"I will not roll over and let some pathetic human push me around. And do not call me human. I rose far above them long ago."

"Alexander and I have put much thought into this. We will retreat to safety until the time is right. Only then—"

"I will not," Kraven scoffed. "You are pathetic. The wise and powerful Demetrius cowers before a single powerless human? I want no such teacher."

"Kraven..."

"No! You go hide. I will take care of this." With a wave of his hand, he was gone.

They sat in silence, each to his or her thoughts, most in doubt. Gavin, like Tahir, had mixed feelings. He had long been a servant and friend of the King. Now where should his loyalty be? He was a traitor regardless of which side he chose. He definitely did not want to battle Kraven, but he did not want to fight his people either. He was, after all, human; the only one who had no magic.