Chapter Three - A New Pride (1/2)

“Find Jerith.” Nehemiah spoke quietly. I need you both to hide along the path to the dragon’s den. If you see anyone, detain him. And Bakuk, let no one know where you are going.”

“I will do as you ask, but…”

“I’ll send word to you later.”

Bakuk struck his chest with his fist and hurried off.

Nehemiah scanned the bustling village for his wife. He headed toward the smell of cooking food. The sight of roasted lamb made his stomach rumble. Ezria, along with Sara, Mary, and a few other elder women of the village worked tirelessly to make a communal feast to fill the bellies of those working to repair the damages to the village. Nahorim, despite his injured ankle, was eager to be of use to the village. He and his grandfather spent much of the morning down at the river. Just as Ezria hoped, upon their return they contributed a healthy amount of fish to be steamed. Tables with dishes of assorted food and drink were set around the village square for all to rest and receive nourishment. Nehemiah tore a small piece of steaming meat off the bone, and approached his wife. Ezria had a stack of plates that were gathered from the homes of many of the women. She was setting them along the tables preparing to call the young children to eat first, allowing the adults to eat while discussing the tactics of rebuilding.

Nehemiah placed his hand on the small of Ezria’s back as he popped the piece of meat into his mouth and chewed quickly.

“Ezria, we need to talk.”

“Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing.” She placed the final plate onto the table and motioned for Sara to call the children over to eat.

“What is this I hear about you planning an attack on Netiro?”

she asked in a hushed voice as Nehemiah led her away from the village square.

“It has to be done, Ezria. We’ve lost two people, many of our sheep are lost, Mettal’s home is beyond repair, and almost half our crops are destroyed. Many are injured and there is so much damage. We’ve put up with this far too long. It ends tonight.”

“How?” she demanded. “How does a man kill a dragon? You have mere swords and spears against the dragon’s strength, fire, claws, and fangs. He has conquered this village before. You said yourself that magic was the only thing that would defeat him. What do you hope to accomplish?”

“He needs to know that we will not take his abuse any longer. Even if we are unable to kill him, at least we can teach him a lesson.”

“What lesson?” Ezria exclaimed.

“Shh, not so loud.” Nehemiah warned, and then they both looked around to see if there was anyone within earshot.

“How easily you can be killed?” she continued. “Nehemiah, you are a dreamer. You have many great ideas. You are brave and charming; you’re a wonderful leader and everyone looks up to you. But sometimes you don’t use good sense. You get so caught up in your ideas and plans that you cannot see their flaws. You cannot defeat the dragon without at least a strategy or a trap…Yes, that’s it! A trap! Trick him! Postpone the battle for a day or two while we come up with…”

“There is no time. I spoke with your grandfather. He advised me to act quickly. I should have the support of the elders and most of the men. I didn’t come here to fight with you Ezria. I need your help.”

“My help? What could I possibly do?”

“Do you remember that smell on the side of Bakuk’s hut that just would not go away? I still don’t know what those boys got into, but he tried everything to get rid of it. Then you made that concoction and cleared it right out?”