Chapter Fourteen - Voyage (1/2)

When the small company gathered for breakfast the following morning, Meelix took command of the project.

“Listen, everybody. We need to begin construction on the basket right way. If we have it assembled by the time Jeverre gets back here later, we will only have to make the adjustments to fit it for his back. But there are satchels to be done before we can build it.

“I have thought about it all night, and although it may not be a perfect plan, it is a start. First, Tahir and Oraden will go back to Elysi to chop some bamboo. There are some nice-sized shoots on the other side of the meadow. Lugg, Reeny, and Caan will go with them. You’ll have to cut some twine and show them how to tie the bamboo together so Oraden can drag it back here. Sudlin and Bennie, you need to gather as much twine as you can for the harness. Get Mattie and some of the other girls to start braiding it. We need nice, long, strong sections. I’ll go talk to the gnomes. I have come up with a way to convince them to help us.”

Tahir, Oraden and the three sprites returned to Elysi. They chopped and prepared the bamboo as instructed, all the while ignoring the curious glances of several unicorns. Ramah watched his son from a distance. The sprites tried to conceal their excitement; Oraden and Tahir quietly devised an explanation for their behavior just in case Ramah approached. Ramah shook his head and resumed grazing, paying little attention to Oraden or his friends. Roddy on the other hand, couldn’t resist the urge to inquire.

“What are you guys up to now?” she asked.

Tahir glanced up at Roddy, annoyed by the interruption. “Nothing.”

“You’re doing something. What are you cutting all this bamboo for?”

“We’re building something, that’s all,” Tahir said without pausing from his work. Oraden shot Tahir a look, warning him not to say too much, but he was too involved in what he was doing to notice.

“What are you building?” Roddy poked her nose around the bundles of bamboo.

“Look Roddy, we’re just helping the sprites with a project, that’s all. Now leave us alone so we can finish,” Tahir finally told her.

Roddy refused to be brushed off. “Is there anything I can do to help?”

“No. We’re just about finished here anyway.”

Roddy stood back and watched. Tahir held several clean shoots of bamboo together as the sprites secured them with the twine. Once secured, he harnessed a pull-rope around Oraden.

“I could carry some of those,” Roddy motioned to the other bundles arranged on the ground.

Tahir and Oraden exchanged looks. Neither wanted Roddy’s involvement, but she would save them a lot of time.

“We have to come back anyway. We’ll pick them up later,” Tahir explained.

“Now, wait a minute,” Lugg interrupted. “If she is willing to help us, why not let her? We didn’t ask her, she offered. She could save us almost half a day.”

“Because she’s not being helpful, she’s just nosey. It’s her way of finding out what we’re up to,” Oraden answered.

“No, I want to help. What’s the big secret, anyway?”

Lugg stepped forward, ignoring the strife between Oraden and Roddy. “We would appreciate your help, but only if you really want to help us. Remember, we didn’t ask for your help, you offered it. You could save us a lot of time, but it won’t be worth it if you intrude on our privacy.”

“I only want to help and be a part of your project. I won’t ask questions and linger around bothering you. Really, I won’t be a problem.”

“Thanks, Roddy. Come on Tahir; let’s get this bamboo tied to Roddy.”