Chapter Twenty-Eight - Goodbye (2/2)

Tahir hunched over a desk, studying a map of the route to the Holy Land. He traced the Nile and approximated where Elysi and his village were located. According to this map, the Crusaders must have veered far off course to attack his village. Why? What would have driven them that far south? Even on horseback it would have taken weeks, maybe months, to travel such distance in the desert sun. Crossing the Sahara was difficult for horses and humans alike; without camels, without knowledge of how to find water, it would be nearly impossible. It didn't make sense. He rubbed his chin as he pondered this new information. He needed answers.

He left the study with the map in hand. Ignoring the usual glares from the guards, and avoiding anyone who may give him a hard time, he searched for Alexander. He found him lying on the floor gnawing a bone. The wolf made no sign that he noticed Tahir approach.

"I've been studying a map," he spoke over the sounds of the bone cracking. "The Templars would have had to travel many days away from the Holy Land to attack my village."

"Indeed."

"Why would they go to such lengths?"

"They wouldn't."

Alexander was obviously more interested in his bone than in having a conversation with him. Or, perhaps, there was something Alexander was intentionally withholding. He was getting a little tired of these wizards and their plotting. He grimaced at the sound of Alexander's teeth grinding against the bone.

"Sir Tahir," Demetrius patted him on the back as he entered the room. "I have heard that you have been spending a lot of time looking behind you. Makes it difficult to move forward if your eyes remain to your rear."

Demetrius sat on the bench near Alexander, bent down and scratched the wolf's ears.

"What's bothering you, Tahir?"

"I want to know who destroyed my village, and why. I want to know why I was spared; why, if you could save me, you couldn't save my mother."

"Yes, yes." Demetrius folded his arms across his chest, leaned back against the wall and stretched out his crossed ankles. He looked up as though the answer might be written on the ceiling.

"You think I had something to do with that massacre, don't you?"

"Did you?"

"My only part in that day was sending Alexander to rescue you."

"Why? Why was it so important to rescue me; to lead me to Elysi? Why was I, a child among a village of hundreds, worth rescuing while the others were not? Why were you watching me? And why couldn't you save everyone? Surely you knew we were about to be attacked and by whom."

Alexander laughed. "Do not be so arrogant; there are many under my careful eye: Oraden, Destiny, Kraven and many others you have not yet come to know. Demetrius and I are constantly on the move—teaching, searching, watching and battling. I was far from your village, but I came as soon as I heard of your situation."

"Tahir," Demetrius explained, "when we say we are watching, that does not necessarily mean we are always nearby, constantly on the lookout for this person. When you walked in the desert alone, Alexander never left your side because he knew you were sad and afraid. We weren't sure who attacked, or if you were even the target and would possibly be attacked again. We needed to insure that you would get somewhere safe. Yes, you were still a child; you still needed someone to care for you and guide you. Before that, you had your mother and the elders of your village. You were relatively safe. You didn't need our constant watch. We weren't positive yet who you were, but we suspected something special. At that point, we merely checked in on you from time to time to see how you were developing and determine if you were worthy of our interest.