Chapter Twenty-Four - The Twelve (3/3)

Below her, Tahir was relaying the conversation between the wizards and the King, to Oraden, as promised. Hysterical laughter above them interrupted his story.

"What was that?" Tahir asked as they searched the sky for an answer. Beyond the garden a dark form skimmed the treetops.

"Do you see that?" Oraden neighed. "Come on! Let's follow it!"

"Are you sure? The last time we did that we got more than we expected." Tahir wasn't sure if he wanted to risk intercepting yet another mysterious creature.

"Oh, come on!" Oraden yelled, and took off at a gallop toward the cackling, flying creature. Tahir ran to catch up. They raced through the woods, kicking up dried leaves and leaping over fallen branches. Oraden found the run invigorating. Lately he'd been reduced to babysitting crazy magicians and dragons, or waiting for people to finish conversations he couldn't understand. He welcomed the chance to stretch his legs and run in the night.

The creature glided back and forth in no apparent pattern. Whenever they seemed to be gaining on it, it changed directions. They were still running when they realized that they lost sight of the mysterious creature. Tahir slowed to a jog as Oraden darted back and forth, trying to determine which way it went. They were just about to give up when they reached the riverbank where they first all plunged into the chilly waters from the large rock. High up on the ledge, Oraden spotted movement.

"There, Tahir," he whispered, "Do you see it? It looks human."

Tahir quietly moved closer to Oraden to get a better look.

"That's because it is human. That's Destiny. Come on."

"What is she doing out here by herself?"

"Let's find out. Whatever that creature was, it's gone now."

Oraden and Tahir climbed toward the ledge where Destiny stood looking over the water.

"Lady Destiny!" Tahir called out. "What are you doing out here?"

Destiny was startled. She pulled her robes and cape tightly to make sure her wings were properly concealed. Her thoughts raced as she searched for an excuse.

"What? I was just...Never mind me. What are you doing out here?"

"Did you see that flying thing?" Oraden asked, eager to talk about their sighting. "It wasn't a dragon or a bird, but it had huge wings and made a strange laughing noise."

"I never saw anything like it in Elysi or the desert. Not huge, but bigger than Smokey...I mean Ellic, like...umm..."

"It was big as Tahir if Tahir had wings—big dragon wings!" Oraden chimed in. "You had to have seen it!"

"Yes, yes, of course I saw it," Destiny agreed nervously. "You didn't see what it was, did you?"

"No," Oraden answered with obvious disappointment in his voice.

"No, it's too dark," Tahir added.

Tahir and Oraden stood in silence, looking into the sky and reflecting on what they'd seen.

"What are you doing out here, anyway?" Tahir asked Destiny. "You shouldn't venture out into the woods by yourself at night."

"I needed some time alone to think," she explained.

"Tahir told me what Demetrius said to you. He wasn't nearly that direct with us; you must be pretty important. I can't believe you get to fight a wizard and we don't."

"Do you know what your magic is?" Tahir asked.

"I thought I knew, but I think there's more."

"Like what?"