Chapter Two - Nightmare (2/2)

Sara was worried about Mary. Since Mettal brought her and their three children to her home, she had not spoken a word or moved a muscle. She slumped in the chair, staring out at nothing, and was unresponsive to any of Sara's efforts to comfort her.

"Hello? Sara?"

"Oh, Ezria," Sara replied. "Come on in. I knew you'd come sooner or later."

"As soon as I could. How are you?"

"I'm all right. But Nahorim has injured his leg and Mary is out of her mind."

She led her friend to Mary. The woman seemed not to notice the presence of her two friends. Ezria examined Mary's head. There was no bleeding, and no bruises or lumps. Aside from a few minor scrapes on her arms, she seemed to be in good physical condition.

"Where is the boy?"

"Sleeping on a pallet in the back. I sent the other children out to see if they could be of any help. Better they don't see their mother like this. I didn't know what else to do."

"You did the best thing. I'll check on the boy first, and then we will see what we can do for Mary. I'll call you if I need any help; otherwise I think it best if you stay with her."

Ezria found Nahorim asleep on a sheepskin blanket. She got down on the floor with him and gently shook his shoulder.

"Nahorim, Nahorim, wake up."

The boy woke from a sound sleep. As soon as he started to turn over, he let out a cry of pain.

"Be still now. I know it hurts. I'm here to help, but you'll have to show me exactly where it hurts. Will you do that?"

"Yes." the boy replied with a grimace, allowing Ezria to help him sit up.

"It hurts mostly right here," he pointed to his left ankle, "but sometimes it hurts up here too." He showed her how the pain radiated from his ankle to his shin.

"That's good. Now just lie back down and let me look at it. This may hurt a little. Are you ready?"

"Do you have to make it hurt more?"

"I'll try not to, but I have to feel it. Try not to move or it might hurt more."

Nahorim nodded his understanding. He closed his eyes tightly and clinched his teeth.

Ezria didn't find any broken bones; just a great deal of swelling.

"There. I'm all finished. That wasn't so bad, was it?"

"No, it wasn't bad at all."

"It might hurt for a few days. Stay off of it for a while and it should heal nicely on its own by harvest time."

"You want me to stay in bed that long?"

"No, no, no," she chuckled. "You don't have to be in bed. I'm going to make a splint and we'll get a walking stick to help you get around when you have to. You could even hop around on your good foot. By harvest festival you'll be the best hopper in the village. Remember how we always have silly races and competitions? You're sure to win. How would you like that?"

"I can hop pretty good now, so I know I'll be the best for the festival!"

"I'm sure you will be. And what prize do you think you'll win?" she asked, opening her pack of medicinal supplies that she always carried on her belt. She continued talking to the boy as she wrapped his ankle, trying to direct his mind to happier times. When she was satisfied with the splint, she rolled a blanket underneath his ankle to keep it elevated.

"Now you try to go back to sleep. There are other things I need to see to. I'll check on you again later." She made Nahorim comfortable in his sheepskin before going out to see about his mother.