Chapter Twenty

"Maybe fairtytales do exist."

Well, here we are one year later. Everything has changed. And when I say everything I mean absolutely everything. Looking back it’s a little blurred at how fast everything went by. Ashton and Stella had a small, simple wedding. We were there and Jessie, James, and Todd flew down for it. Stella’s parents came and Ashton’s sister came. That caused a huge fight between the two lovers, but Stella insisted she come because it’s the right thing to do. I’m not sure if Ash and his sister exchanged more than one word to each other, even though she looked a little broken the whole time. Gemma, Adam and Sydney came down as well. They were all shocked at what happened with all of us.

Stella and Ashton bought a small house down in Brunswick, GA. Erin lives in the same town, but a few miles away. I, on the other hand live with Derek in a small two bedroom house in the same neighborhood as Ash and Stell. None of us wanted to be separated.

Derek asked me to move in with him right after Ashton proposed to Stella. Apparently that’s what he meant when he said he didn’t want to travel. I think it’s about time we all settle down anyway.

I have a job now. Ironically enough, I talk to kids who struggle with depression. I’m an assistant, but I’m getting moved up soon. I caved in and took a year of college online so I could at least do something with my life.

Derek works in a shop downtown, fixing cars. He says he’ll stay there until something better comes along. Not once has he left my side since we’ve been reunited. I actually think we have a good future ahead of us.

But now, I’m sitting in the living room of our house flipping through the channels on the television. I snap my head up when the front door opens. Stella walks in holding a diaper bag and gives me a tired smile with Ashton right behind her. Their little girl is in his arms and he’s making goofy faces at her. I stand and walk over to them.

“Hey, Dyl,” Stella says.

“You look tired,” I comment.

“I’m exhausted. Thanks for keeping her,” she says with a nod to her child.

I grin at the three month old baby in his arms. “Hey, Serenity,” I coo. She just gives me a wide stare with her green eyes in response. I chuckle and take her from Ashton, earning a pout from him. “It’s no problem. When will you be back?” I ask.

“Who knows,” Ashton grumbles.

She gives him a glare. “Not long, I promise. We just have to get a few things for tonight.”

“Oh right; people are coming over.”

Ashton huffs. “It’s just Adam and the others. Who cares about Adam?”

I laugh. “Ash, I think that ship has sailed. It was two years ago.”

“He still tried to kiss her.”

“We’re leaving,” Stella demands. “Bye, Serene,” she whispers and yanks Ashton out the door.

I place Serenity on the carpet in the living room and walk down the hall to find Derek. He’s slipping on a shirt in our bedroom when I walk in. My cheeks flush a little at the sight before he turns to face me.

“After all this time, you still can’t help but check me out can you?” he teases.

“No.” I walk over and give him a quick kiss. “Serenity is here. Where are you going?”

He looks down at me with a weird glare in his eyes. “I’ll be back.”

“But where—”

“I said I’ll be back,” he demands. His features soften and he smiles. “I promise I’ll be back soon, okay?”