Chapter Three

“Curiosity killed the cat, you know.”

“What the hell do you think you were doing there?” Derek snarls.

“I didn’t know you were there,” I defend. His hand presses harder on my chest, holding me in place. I’m no longer afraid, I’m just annoyed. Why the hell is he in my bedroom right now?

“And then you just took off! Did you run and tell your little friends?”

“No, I didn’t tell them anything.”

“Good­—don’t.” His piercing blue orbs penetrate me to where I can’t move and oddly, I don’t want too. I know it’s supposed to be a harsh glare and I’m supposed to be scared, but I’m not. If anything, the spark in his eyes just makes them look prettier.

I eventually shove him away, sending a glare at him before I hear a knock on my door. For a moment I freeze and meet his panicky eyes. I quickly shove him into the closet, even though he’s protesting. “I don’t want to go in the closet.”

“I don’t care what you want.”

“Don’t you leave me in this closet.”

I shut him inside and swing the bedroom door open, revealing Adam. He gives a tired smile and stuffs his hands into his sweatpants pockets. “What’s up?” I ask.

“Just wanted to make sure you were okay from earlier.”

“I’m fine. It’s happened before.”

“That one was different.” He frowns and ruffles his hair. “I’m just worried about you.”

“Don’t be.”

He sighs with a nod. “You’re a good guy, I hope you know.”

“Thanks Adam,” I say with a grin. He pats my back and walks out, so I close and lock the door before running over to the closet. Derek punches the door open and glares at me.

“What was he talking about?” he demands.

“Nothing,” I reply, staring at my floor.

“Why wouldn’t you be okay?”

“Leave it alone!” I bark. We just glare at each other for a while, our breathing getting heavier. Right now I know I hate this guy. I hate him so much and I don’t even feel bad for leaving him in that alley anymore. He probably deserved it. Even I want to beat the shit out of him, but he would easily win.

His jaw flexes when he clenches his teeth and I notice his busted lip and the purple tent on his temple. Curiosity starts eating at me and I reach over and lift up his shirt. Purple bruises cover his milky skin. My eyes stay fixated on his bruised skin for a moment before he jerks his shirt down.

“What the hell are you doing?” he snarls.

“You’re all bruised up,” I state.

“Yeah, it happens.”

I shrug and walk over to my bed, sitting on the edge and grabbing my theories book, beginning to read. When he hovers over me I glance up. “What?”

“Don’t tell anyone about what you saw tonight.”

“Why would I? I don’t even know you.”

He rolls his eyes and walks out with a huff. And by out I mean, he jumped through the window and took off. I jump up and lock it before he can come back and watch him jog across the yard with a glare on my face.

Does he think he’s some hotshot that can come in here and attempt to threaten me? He’s not very good at it, if that’s what he’s attempting. He didn’t even scare me… not that much anyway. Mostly he’s just annoying. But there’s still no denying how attracted I am to him, as sad as it sounds. With a huff I climb into bed and fall asleep.