Chapter Sixteen

“What’s the point in chasing if I can’t enjoy your face?”

“What do you mean you called them?” I hiss.

“Dylan, you were getting bad. You were in the hospital and you’ve been to two therapy sessions; nothing is making you better. Of course I called them,” Adam explains.

I glare into him and switch my focus to the window in my bedroom. It’s been three days since the incident at school. I’m fine, but he won’t leave me alone. And now he tells me he’s called Stella, Ashton, and Erin. I don’t like to worry them and this will destroy them. I can’t have them know how bad I am and I can’t have them know I kept this from them.

“They’ll be here in an hour,” he mumbles.

“Adam!” I scream.

He whirls around on his heels and stands beside my bed, glaring down at me. “What am I supposed to do Dylan? You won’t talk to any of us, you won’t tell us how to help, and I can’t have you walking around being dead inside; I just can’t do it anymore.”

“I wasn’t aware I was that hard to handle.”

“You’re not—you’re not hard to handle at all, Dyl. But I need you to be okay because you’re my best friend and the only people that will make you okay again is them.”

I give a loud sigh and nod. “They’re going to be so pissed at me.”

“No, they won’t. Just trust me.”

“Ashton doesn’t even like you.”

“We’ve come to an understanding. By the way, you have a new phone.”

“Where?”

“It’ll be here in an hour.” He turns and walks out of my room, closing the door behind him.

I groan and grab the pillow that smells like Derek, cuddling up to it. It’s beginning to lose its smell, which makes me even more depressed. I need more things that smell like him. What if I went to his house? I could relive him again. I just need to go to his house, but I’ll have to wait until my friends aren’t at my throat. I wish they would just leave me alone, but I know they won’t.

The constant pain in my chest seems to get more painful when I see a familiar van pull into the driveway. They’re going to be so pissed at me. With a deep breath, I walk downstairs and meet them in the kitchen.

Stella walks in first, but halts when she sees me. Ashton comes in next, followed by Erin. They all just stop and gape at me with horrified looks on their faces. They don’t look radiant and vibrant like usual; they look sad and concerned which is my fault. This is exactly why I didn’t want them to know. They’re happy; they don’t need to worry about me.

“Oh, Dylan,” Stella whispers. She runs over and hugs me tightly. Ashton and Erin follow, hugging me tight. We all embrace each other for a long minute. Tears form in my eyes when they pull away.

“I’m so sorry,” I cry.

“Why?” Stella asks.

“I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to worry you. You guys are happy—”

Ashton steps forward, towering over me so I stop talking. He grabs my wrist and places an iPhone in my hand with pursed lips. His eyes scan me over slowly, drinking me in. “He was a good guy, Dyl. I know you loved him, but everything happens for a reason,” he says.

I shake my head. “I’m fine.”

“No you’re not. You haven’t showered in what, three days? You haven’t slept in about a week and you don’t eat much. You’re skinnier. So, first things first: we’re making you dinner.”