Chapter Two

“I think you can definitely be infatuated with someone the first time you’ve seen them.”

Gemma walked me back to Adam’s, not even mentioning the run in with the stranger from the field. I don’t like to call his house home, even though I live here now, because it’s Adam’s home and I just don’t feel like it’s mine. I found my home and that’s with Ashton, Stella, and Erin, in their van and traveling, but I can’t stay with them forever; I have to finish school. Ashton was mostly home to me because he took me in, made me feel like I belonged. He was like a brother to me. Adam feels like a close cousin or something. He’s a great best friend, it’s just he’ll never be an Ashton or one of the girls.

But now, I’m saying bye to Gemma and walking inside Adam’s front door. I kick off my shoes and make my way to my room, passing Adam’s along the way. Without thinking, I backtrack and glance inside the door. The stranger from the field sits in the chair by Adam’s desk, looking through papers. Hesitantly, I walk in and awkwardly stand there.

He glances up at me and narrows his eyes. “Can I help you?” he questions.

“Where’s Adam?” I ask.

“Don’t know.” He goes back to staring at the papers in his hands, not even giving me a second glance.

“Is he even here?”

The man sighs. “I don’t think so.”

“Then why are you in his bedroom?”

“Why are you?” he fires back, finally looking at me with dark eyes. He looks annoyed, but then again I’m getting annoyed too.

“Because I live here.”

He grunts a little.

“Why do you need his help?”

He throws the papers down on the desk and stands up with a sigh, walking over to me. There’s still at least four feet between us, but I can see him clearer now. His eyes are dull, but still the most beautiful color of blue I’ve ever seen. His lips are big, but dry. And it’s not hard to tell he’s hiding so many secrets behind this mask of hatred.

“What are you running from?” I ask.

“Are you trying to pick my brain, Dylan?” He tilts his head to the side a little.

I flick my tongue on the roof of my mouth, shifting my weight from one foot to the other. “Depends.”

“On?”

“How many secrets you’ve got hidden up there.”

His eyes narrow and he takes a small step closer. “Stop trying to figure me out.”

“You’re probably not worth it anyway,” I mutter and turn on my heels, walking out of the room. Something about him just made me pissed off. I can’t explain how annoyed I got just looking at his face, God it’s like he was stabbing me in the side with a knife. Obviously, he’s full of bitterness, which I have no time for because I’m happy now and I don’t feel like going back into my depression state.

Five minutes later I hear a door slam and footsteps come from the hall. I glance up from my book and stare at the doorway until a body appears in front of it. Adam gives me a grin, which I return.

“Hey man,” he says.

“Hey,” I reply.

He walks over and sits on the edge of my bed. “What are you reading?”

“Uh, it’s about mythology and theories and stuff.”

“You’re into all that?”

“Aren’t you?”