Chapter Nine

And just like that, my world was whole again and destroyed at the same time.

I take in Ashton’s features: tan, muscular, longer hair, but still wavy. His eyes are brighter than ever and he looks so happy, but at the same time broken as he takes in the sight in front of him. Erin is gaping at me in a horrified way, but I take notice to her brown hair that’s down to her waist, straight with a feather in a strand of it. A streak of red paint is on her hand and a few splatters on her clothes, but she looks incredibly happy as well. I finally settle on Stella. Her long, blonde hair is to her waist, like Erin’s, but there’s a pink streak and a blue streak on each side of her head, along with a flower crown on her head. A blue line is painted on both of her cheeks that match her tie dye t-shirt. They all look so beautiful and alive. They radiate happiness around the room so much I almost forget I’m half dead in the floor of Adam’s kitchen.

Ashton bolts over to me, pulling me to him in a tight hug, forcing Derek to release his grip on my t-shirt. The feeling of home washes over me, along with relief and I hug him back as tight as I can manage. He pulls away, searching my face for something.

“Hey, Ash,” I breathe.

“What the hell happened to you?” he questions.

“Got jumped.”

He whirls around to glare at Adam. “He was supposed to be in good hands with you!” he explodes. “You said you would take care of him and I come back and find him beaten half to death?”

“Are you his mother?” Adam growls.

“No, but he doesn’t have one and his Dad is shit, so I’m all he’s got.”

“What about us?”

“What about you?” he sneers. “You let him get hurt. Damn it; you were supposed to protect him!”

“Sorry I can’t be as protective as fucking Ashton Michaels.”

“Yeah, me too.”

“He got beat up pretty bad before didn’t he? Wasn’t he bullied a lot? And you didn’t do shit, so don’t come in my house and throw a bitch fit because something happened to him.”

Ashton grabs his shirt, ramming him into the wall to lean close and whisper something. Everything happens so fast: the punches, the bloody nose, the cussing and yelling.

“He’s coming back with me!” Ashton barks.

“And you think you get to decide?” Adam yells back, holding his bloody nose in his hand.

I continue to lean against the kitchen table, wishing this would end soon. I know Ashton is just trying to protect me, but he didn’t have to make such a scene as soon as he got here. Everyone is frozen in place, just watching with a horrified expression. I wanted to intervene but I’m too beat up to anything even if I wanted too.

Derek finally stomps over, jerking them away from each other. I didn’t know it was possible for someone to be more intimidating than Ashton, but Derek managed it. “Enough,” he growls. Adam immediately shrinks away from him, but Ashton, of course, stands his ground, glaring back. They’re both muscular and tall, but Derek is slightly taller. Honestly, I have no idea who would win in that fight.

“Who the hell are you?” Ashton demands.

“Derek.”

Ashton’s eyes widen as he glances back at Stella. A smirk creeps into his lips and I suddenly become very nervous. “I’ve heard about you,” he says and then turns to me. “Now, tell me what happened to you.” He grabs my arms, pulling me to my feet, but I collapse into his chest. He doesn’t mind though; he just hugs me and hums a little in my ear.