Prologue

(This is NOT  a Sterek fic, I just used them for the main characters, because i like their faces.)

My pulse quickens along with my pace. My forehead is drenched with sweat and I’m doing my best to catch my breath, but I can’t. We’re still running. It feels like we’ve been running for hours. We run along a small bridge that hovers over a street downtown. The men are still chasing us—I hear them screaming for us over and over. Well, for him.

All I can see in front of me is his black t-shirt and long legs carrying him. Nothing else matters, nothing else is visible. Suddenly, he stops and turns to face me, panting heavily. I come to an immediate halt, almost colliding with his body.

“Go,” he instructs.

“Derek, I’m not leaving you,” I demand.

“You’re going to have too. I won’t bring you into this anymore.”

I glance behind me. They’re getting closer. I turn back to his worried eyes and shake my head no. “I won’t leave you.”

“Dylan, go!” he barks.

“I can’t leave you!” I cry.

“If you love me, you’ll do this,” he says after a moment. I look up at him through my wet eyelashes. “If you get hurt, I won’t be able to live myself. Go… and promise you’ll stay hidden, no matter what.”

“Will you come back?” I whimper.

He bites his lip, holding back tears. “Probably not.”

I nod understandably. “Okay,” I whisper and walk towards him. “I did love you, you know.” With one last look towards the men approaching us, I leave him and as much as it psychically pains me, I don’t look back.