Chapter Twelve

“I will never stop fighting for you.”

We arrive at the park within minutes. In the very back of the park, a group of teenagers sit next to a row of cars with music blaring out of them. We parked Derek’s car a little bit over so they wouldn’t see us coming. They follow a step behind me and that’s good because I know what I’m doing.

“How are we going to find him?” Adam asks.

“If he hit her and no one did anything about it, it means he’s the guy running this place, so no one stands up to him. Split up or they’ll know we’re coming. Blend in, drink, stay hidden until I make a move,” I demand.

“How—?”

“I grew up with this shit, just go.” They go opposite directions, so I walk behind the crowd and scan the area. Some people crowd around cars, others hurl into the grass, but over by a tree is where I settle my gaze. James stands against the tree, staring into the pond. I casually walk over to him. “Didn’t know this was your scene.”

He spins around, his blue eyes hooded. “It’s not, but I didn’t have anywhere else to go.”

“Why not?”

He shrugs. “Why are you here?”

“Looking for Zach.”

His eyes widen. “You want Zach? Why?”

“Business.”

“Well, I think he’s with a girl at the moment.”

Anger ignites in my whole body, but I stay calm on the outside. He’s already onto another girl right after he hit Gemma. I scan the crowd, finding Adam talking to a group of guys and Derek is grinning at a few girls that are practically undressing him with their eyes. I roll my eyes and turn back to James. “You don’t look like you’re having fun,” I comment.

“Well, you don’t either.”

“I’m just here for business.”

“Oh, right.” He fiddles with his thumbs for a moment. “Do you want to get out of here? I mean, I know you have business, but…”

My eyes grow wide as I realize what he’s implying. “I would, but this can’t wait.”

“Right, right.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s cool.” He nods behind me. “There’s Zach.”

I whirl around and see a stocky man walking out from behind a car with a girl in a mini skirt at his side. His hair is buzzed and dark brown. He’s not huge, but he’s by no means small. But I’m extremely pissed, so I can handle myself in a fight against him. I look back at James and mutter a “thanks” to him.

“Good luck.”

I stalk off, making my way over to Zach. He’s standing with another guy, already disposed of the girl. He meets my glare as I approach with a quirked eyebrow. “You’ve got nerve hitting a girl,” I growl, getting the attention of a few people around us.

He steps towards me, smirking. “She should have done what I said.”

“And what’s that?” My legs are wobbly, but I’m not backing down like a coward anymore. It’s time to face the fear that my father burned into my brain years ago.

He gets closer to my face and purrs, “She wouldn’t spread her legs for me.”

My whole body feels like it’s on fire. I grab the collar of his shirt and ram him into the truck behind him. He’s still smiling, because he thinks he’s going to win, which he isn’t. My fist connects to his mouth, causing him to spit out blood. “Don’t touch her again,” I growl.