The full Story

"So," Cathy placed her hands on the table top, "What really happened to you Dad?"

Steven sighed.

"It's a long story."

Cathy smiled and leaned back in her chair.

"I got all night."

Steven smiled and began his story.

📎📎📎

"Steven," Bill came up to his friend, "just, be careful alright?"

Steven set down his work tools and leaned towards Bill.

"You heard about it?!" Steven whisper-shouted.

"I-I overhead you talking on the phone, I'm sorry."

Steven sighed. He wasn't happy.

"Damn it Bill! They'll come after you, you know that!"

"I understand that." Bill set down his electric drill, "if you get killed, Cathy will have no parents." Bill ran a hand through his greasy hair, "how about you bring her over to my house, Sharon and I can take care of her, We can raise her."

Steven shook his head.

"No, if the deal is going to go how I think it will, she has to see me. I can't risk it."

"You really want your twelve year old daughter to see you dead?!" Bill exclaimed silently.

Steven took off his tool belt and went to clock out. Bill followed him.

"It will be enough that protects her."

"Protects her?!" Bill was shocked. "What the hell, Steven! She's twelve!"

"You don't think I know that!" Steven yelled as he turned around to face his friend. Thank god they were somewhere no one could see, or hear them. "I don't want to do this! I don't want to see her when she's broken and crying because she thinks her father his dead. I don't want that. But if it means that she's safe, then I'll do it."

"What happens when she finds out when you're alive?" Bill called out as Steven made his way to his car.

"I don't know." Steven muttered.

📎📎📎

"There's two mil right in that stack." Steven pointed towards the cash. "Now, you promised me you'd leave my daughter out of this."

Balsam smiled at Steven and chuckled.

"Oh Steven," Balsam wagged his pointer finger at the man, "surely you know how this game works. Your family, your daughter, will never be safe. It's all because of you."

Steven clenched his hands into fists.

"Then you won't get any information about Phoenix." Steven stood up straight.

Balsam glared at Steven.

"Grab him!" Balsam barked.

Steven grabbed a small canister of gas from underneath his jacket. He quickly pulled the pin and threw it near Balsams men. Then, he made a run for it.

📎📎📎

Once Steven got home, he had to start his plan. He wasn't expecting it to be today, but Steven needed to protect his daughter.

Steven went into the kitchen and got all the necessary items to stage a fake suicide. He grabbed red food coloring, corn syrup, his gun, and a few pain killers that would hopefully slow his heart rate.