Chapter Twenty-Six - The Storm (2/2)

Start from the beginning

"It was Francis!" he yelled back, struggling to his feet. He used the wall to support himself as he walked the perimeter of the cell. "Francis and his army invaded my village! Killed my mother! When we met, I told you this happened and you—you didn't say a word!"

"What? That's not possible!"

"He had me arrested because he thinks I'm a spy! He told me. He said he was at war with 'people like me!'"

"You think I had something to do with that?"

"No, but I think you knew about it."

"Tahir, we are the same age, I was but a child, as were you. How could I—why would you think..."

"I know that things are not what I once thought," he answered through his rage.

"Until you arrived, I knew of nothing outside these walls! You've seen how my father shelters me, how my brother hates me. Do you honestly believe they told me about any of this? Do you truly believe I would keep it from you if they had?"

Tahir stopped. He knew it was true, and he realized he was taking his anger out on the wrong person. Ellic and Meelix remained silent, discretely watching the conversation.

"I-I'm sorry, I don't believe that. I just...I don't know."

"I know."

Tahir outstretched his arm and let her come to him. She embraced him gently, trying not to touch his wounds or cause him further pain. He rested his head on her shoulder and she ran her fingertips through his hair. Ellic and Meelix remained silent, but nodded to each other.

"Now, this is interesting," Francis' loud voice boomed into the cell. He sneered from the doorway where several guards stood behind him.

"Francis! How dare you!" She pulled away from Tahir, unintentionally leaving him to fall to his knee, and stormed toward her half-brother. Ellic and Meelix scurried behind her as she confronted the prince.

"How dare he touch the King's daughter? Even if she is a monstrous beast." He glared at her in disgust. "I shall have him executed for this treachery! Guards!"

"Stand down!" she ordered the guards. "Anyone who dares to lay a hand on my husband will suffer!"

The guards froze. Under normal circumstances they obeyed the prince, as he was the older of the siblings and heir to the throne. But most of the guards remembered Destiny's childhood and knew that her temper tantrums could be extremely dangerous. Those who did not remember were reminded when her wings expanded from beneath her cape and her eyes turned into flaming embers. The room instantly became cold enough to see their breath. Mist rose from the ground beneath her.

"Leave us," Francis ordered the guards, never taking his eyes from Destiny. When they were young, he managed to intimidate her and instill enough fear that she wouldn't dare use her magic against him. He hoped he still commanded that fear.

"Did I hear you correctly, Sister?" He approached in his typical arrogant manner. "Have you brought even more shame to our family by marrying this...son of a merchant, no doubt? And now you proudly display your deformity? This will kill our father for sure!"

"And you can't wait for that, can you? All you've ever cared about was the crown, and making me feel less than I am. But I'm not a child anymore. You do not intimidate me. You will not touch Tahir, or any of my guests. And as for Father, do you really think I would marry without his blessing? He is happy for us."

"This is not over, Demon. The time will soon come when I will no longer be forced to tolerate your filth." With a snarl, Francis stormed out of the dungeon.