Chapter 52 - Another Heart-to-Heart

Start from the beginning

"...in her room. Remember? I was...We were..."

It's only then that I start laughing. I could have pulled this little act for longer but I feel bad for him. Besides, it's too funny and I drop my knife and grab a kitchen cloth and laugh uncontrollably into it.

"When you were what, Rahul? Putting the rabbit down the hole? Honking your horn? Doing the mattress mambo? Riding the..."

"Geez, Layla. Please, stop! You're killing me here." Rahul's face has turned bright red, like the bell pepper that lies slaughtered on my chopping board. But at least he's grinning. The awkward tension between us vanishes.

He starts to laugh too. And we go on like this for at least a minute.

I'm relieved the tension has vanished. It was unpleasant.

"What? And let you off the hook so easily? It's payback for all the mean things you did to me when we were growing up."

"That's cold, Layla. You had me worried. What you think of me means more than you would ever know."

"Well, I'm glad. I'm also really happy that you and Tina have hooked up. Wish I could get that image of the two of you...getting busy, out of my head, though. I scrubbed down three times that night you know. But nothing can wash that image from my head."

...I did much more than scrub down that night. I scrubbed down then got dirty...with Riaan. Your best friend...

Layla stop now! Don't let your thoughts wander... Stay focused.

He grins sheepishly at me but says nothing.

I turn on the stove and heat up a wok.

"Grab some plates and set it out. Dinner will be ready in five minute.

Rahul does as I say and I stirfry the chicken and veggies with some chilli oil and soy sauce. I add a packet of egg noodles and supper is served.

We eat in silence for a bit.

"Don't ever run off like that again, La. It scared me. Tina was worried too. Thank God Riaan found you and took care of you that night."

...If only you know how well he took care of me, you wouldn't be so grateful.

"He had to rush off to London for some reason. Do you have any idea why?"

This would be the ideal opportunity to come clean and tell him of the situation between Riaan and myself. But Riaan made me promise not to say anything. He wants to be the one who tells Rahul.

"Nope. No idea."

I hope my face looks truthful.

"Did you see the new warehouse? What do you think? Did Riaan walk you through it?"

...He did much more than just walk me through it...

"It's all very lovely. Looks like you both have done your homework. I had no idea what a big operation it is."

"Yes, Riaan's has a good eye for business. Did he tell you about the artworks we need for the new offices. I think his idea of a car as repayment is a brilliant idea. It's about time you didn't have to worry about catching buses and taxis."

"I'm okay with catching buses and taxis. I'm prepared to do the paintings free of charge. I have plenty of canvas stretched and waiting to be used. Really..."

"Layla, Riaan put forward a good point. We can register the car as a company expense. We will save in the long run. Just accept this as payment and stop making a big deal about it."

"Okay, okay."

There's no winning with these two men in my life. First Rahul and his over bearing brotherly duties, and now Riaan to contend with.

We chat for a while longer. I tell him that Tina is dear to me and I don't want him breaking her heart. When he admits that he loves her, that makes up my mind that I am one hundred percent happy for them.

By 9.30, Rahul leaves. I go shower, change and get into bed. My phone beeps and I hope it's a message from Riaan.

No such luck. It's David.

Hi stranger. I've called you twice already. No reply. I hope it's that you're just busy and nothing more. Message or call me sometime.

I'd forgotten all about David. I feel terrible. How do I reply to this message. So much has happened since my date with him.

Hey David. I'm sorry. It's just been really busy the last few days. Sorry if my silence had you worried.

I have no idea what else to type. I really don't want to lead him on and think there's something more between us after just one date, and one kiss.

But, I also like David. I loved spending time with him the last time. He's funny and intelligent. Would Riaan be upset if I met with him for coffee? Just as friends, of course. Probably. Best not to stir that pot any more than I need to right now.

My relationship is still new with Riaan. It's best to tread carefully. But I'm really not the kind of person who will let go of friends just because my boyfriend doesn't like it.

Boyfriend. Is that what Riaan is to me now? Sounds... odd. But also, wonderful.

My phone beeps again.

Let me know when you are free sometime. We can meet up for coffee (or milkshake :)

I reply on a light note again, making no commitments. I don't find the milkshake bit funny anymore. I have too much to think about.

I feel bad but it's for the best.

Sure, as soon as I'm free I will call and arrange. Take care.

Geez, that sounded cold. But it was necessary.

Riaan does not call or message. He hasn't contacted me since leaving for London. He's probably busy.

It's amazing how I miss someone who I've only really just got to know intimately, and have only spent about 48 solid hours with over one weekend!

I miss Riaan and time seems to be moving way too slowly.

I silently will Friday to come quickly. I need to feel his arms around me once more. His lips teasing mine, his words caressing me.