Chapter 6 - Popcorn and BFF's

(Wine, popcorn and bff's are what makes life bearable...And good food. Definitely, good food:)

Chapter 6

There is no elevator in the dormitory building that I live in. I'm on the 5th floor and most times I don't mind climbing up the stairs to get to my room. But tonight, I feel the strain with every step up.

My body is screaming for a shower and a change of clothes. I sigh with relief as I finally get to my door and let myself in.

I find Tina busy at her desktop typing away. This is a usual sight for me, especially since it's exam time. It's after eleven and all I want to do is shower and get into bed. I ignore the grumbling sounds coming from my stomach. I'm too tired to go fix myself something to eat.

I have a long day ahead sorting out details for my exhibition. Everything is falling together nicely, but there are still a few things that need attention.

I'm hoping to get a good mark as this would put me in a good position to apply for a bursary next year.

I'm hoping to pursue a qualification in art therapy next year. Maybe. I'm still in two minds about next years major.

But, I've got a whole summer to decide. I guess, money and getting financial aid will play a big role in what I choose. But that's next year's problem. No point dwelling on it now.

"Hey, Tina" I say. My voice is flat and barely a whisper.

"Hey you, rough day, huh?" She can hear it in my voice. She lifts her head from her computer and fixes her eyes on me.

"How'd it go?"

"Good, I guess. Will fill you in tomorrow. I'm exhausted." I shrug my shoulders. I am too tired to talk now.

"Not letting you off so easily, babe. Answer just three questions and I'll let you off the hook...for now."

Tina swings around dramatically in her swivel chair and faces me.

She folds her arms and waits for me to respond. We've been friends for five years now, ever since we both met in psychology 1 class. We hit it off immediately and are at a point in our relationship where we know each other's business like no other.

Eating popcorn and sharing stories is our therapy.

By now, I know every little freckle that litters the cute face of Tina. She's so beautiful in a quirky, natural way.

I on the other hand tend to be a bit more dark and cynical. I'm the epitome of the broody artist type. But our relationship works somehow. We balance each other out, I guess.

When we both realized we were planning on pursuing a post-grad degree, we decided to apply for a dormitory room to share together.

We were not hopeful since these apartment-type rooms are in great demand, but by sheer luck we were appointed one within a month of waiting.

Tina says it was my 'sweet, innocent face and ample bosom' that won over the officer in charge of allocating rooms. I really don't know where she comes up with this crap. The man was rather old and kind of gross, so I had not found her supposed observation of the man's interest in me flattering at all. I had cringed at the thought and she had laughed.

The accommodation we were given was one of the nicer dormitory rooms. It was spacious and reserved for senior students only. It was larger and a lot more comfortable than the tiny holes we had to live in on the lower floors as entry level students.

In those sections, students share one kitchen and a bathroom with seven other students. It takes a lot of getting used to, especially when you come home from class late in the evenings, only to find that your last helping of mashed potatoes and roast chicken has gone missing from the communal fridge.