Chapter 14- Her Life

Picture of Kyle and Emery above⤴️

~Recap~

"Its for you."

When I frown, Dasen blinks, nearly making me freeze with his next words.

"It's a Cole Chapman."

~Continue~

Jace~

I had just gotten back from dropping Malia and her little brother off at the elementary school. There was this inkling feeling that I shouldn't have left them, but I shook it off.

I drop my keys in the bowl beside my door and bend to take my shoes off. Sound of little feet running are echoing through my halls and I know Ace and Jules, no doubt Ariel, haven't left my house yet.

I sigh tiredly and stand to my full height just in time to catch Emery hurling into my legs.

"Woah!" I exclaim. "Where's the fire, Em?"

She giggles. "Sorry, Uncle Jay."

I pick her up to hang on my side and give her a peck to her head. "It's okay, bumble. Just be careful."

She nods, making her hair bounce around her face before I set her down, watching as she runs up the stairs. I chuckle and shuffle down the hall she had run out of and enter my kitchen.

Ace is there putting away the extra food, Jules is eating the rest of the cook at my table while she holds her engorged tummy, and Ariel is helping Ace out as she tries to stuff her face also.

I sigh. "Why are you all still here?"

"We didn't want to waste all this extra food so we were just putting it away for you,"Ace says.

"Why don't you just take it?"

"Because he doesn't want me to eat it all," Jules says, her mouth full of cake as she grins slyly.

I snort and make my way over to sit across from her, dropping into the seat with a tired sigh.

"Did Malia and Aaron get home safe?" Ariel asks, concerned.

"I don't know." Jules frowns. "She never lets me take her home. It's like she doesn't want me to see something."

"So follow her," Ace sugests.

I roll my eyes. "I'm not going to invade her privacy."

"You've already done that you, dickhead," Ariel says.

I snap my head to her and narrow my eyes. "What do you know."

She rolls her eyes, not taking my glare seriously. "Cut the crap, Jacey. I've been in your office. After you left to take them home, I may or may not have gone in there and seen a file on your desk with her name on it."

I frown. "I don't have a file..."

My eyes widen at this new information and shoot up from my seat, stomping past confused expressions and up the stairs to my office.

I close the steps between me and my desk, my eyes trained on the tanned file. I hesitate to pick it up, deciding to call Dasen to see if he knew how it had gotten into my office in the first place.

"Boss."

"Who?!"

He's quiet on the other end before me mutters, "Neal dropped by to hand it off personally. You weren't in, so I took it upon myself to place it there."