Chapter 23- Grandpappy

Picture of "Grandpappy" above ^

❗️This chapter contains content that may trigger some people.❗️

Malia~

I stood, shocked as I stared at the man who announced himself my "Grandpappy". Whatever the hell that is.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I heard you right," I say, shaking my head and taking a step toward him. "What's a Grandpappy?"

He chuckles and makes his way to stand in front of me. "Chickpea, a grandpappy is a grandfather." He smiles. "And I'm yours."

He didn't look old enough to be a grandfather. I mean don't get me wrong, he looked old, just..not old enough to be mine I guess.

His hair was grey but it still had color in it. From what I guess, his hair used to be gold, on the edge of brown and blonde. Maybe a mix of both. He had wrinkles under eyes that looked like they had seen years of things that nobody should have seen and yet, were looking at me like I carried the cure to every disease known to humanity. He shoulders were big, his arms the size of my calves, and hands that looked like they've roughed up a few.

He was old alright..but clearly not old enough to where he couldn't hold his own.

He looks me over and sighs. I can see the hint of sadness in his eyes that doesn't match the smile that graces his face, but I say nothing.

"You look so much like her," he whispers, his eyes stopping on my hair. "She never liked the color of her hair. Said it reminded her of everything she didn't want to be."

I frown. "What are you talking about?"

His eyes snap to mine and he goes quiet, just staring at me like he was trying to read every thought in my mind. Finally, he clears his throat and steps back, stretching his arm out towards the lodge.

"Why don't you come on inside. I'll tell you everything you need to know," he says, watching me as I look at the house with uncertainty. "I promise you will not be harmed here."

My eyes wander to every man walking around the property. They dont bother looking our way, minding their business and tending to what I already know is what they've been told to do. It's like I'm not even here.

I look back up to the man calling himself my grandfather and reluctantly decide to agree and make my way inside. The lodge itself looked average size on the outside.

Once inside, I was surprised by how homey the place felt instead of modernized

Once inside, I was surprised by how homey the place felt instead of modernized. I was expecting there to be technology all around the house. Flat screen TVs and home appliances that did the work for you.

Instead, I saw normal home furniture, a bookcase off to the side of the living room, a fireplace, and couches that had fleece thrown over it with coffee tables off to the sides that held a book which looked to had been put down upon my arrival. It went along with the pair of prescription glasses next to it.