December 5th

"No, no Theo. The chocolate chips go in the cookies!"

"Nope," You said sarcastically. I chased you around the kitchen counter. My feet clad in fuzzy socks slipped against the tiled floor. Eventually, I gave up on trying to catch you. Just as you were about to pop another chocolate chip into your mouth, I grabbed it.

I ate it and you gaped at me in disbelief. It was then when I noticed how close we were. Our noses were touching and I could feel your breath against mine. You smelled of the peppermint candy canes we had just eaten earlier, and I had no complaints.

"Eva?" I do not think I would ever get tired of hearing you say my name. It was better than listening to my favorite song on loop, well, almost better. I do not think I could quite compare anything to the sound of Harry Styles.

I hummed in response.

"Don't let the cookies burn." I turned my head away, flushing red.

I did.

Baking was not my strong suit. I opened up the oven only to be met with thick gray smoke.

"Shit," I muttered. My forehead had droplets of sweat against it due to the high heat. My mom is going to kill me. I wave my hands in front of my face in attempt to catch a breath.

Then I heard you coughing so loud that I got worried. I turned to face you and your blonde-brown hair was covering your eyes because you were looking down, trying not to inhale smoke. I shooed you into the living room but you refused with the simple shake of your head.

"Theo, I got this, go away," I pushed. It was no use. You always were stubborn, even as a kid. You refused to accept my Valentine's day cards, don't think I forgot.

I watched as you grabbed a dish rag and started fanning out the smoke. You pulled your shirt up to cover your mouth and nose. I was able to breath properly again. I opened up a window and inhaled the fresh air. Your face was a deep shade of red and you kept coughing until you downed a whole glass of water.

"You okay?" We asked simultaneously, a goofy grin on our faces now that the whole situation was under control.

I nodded and slid down the kitchen counter wall until I was leaning against it completely. I looked over at you. From under my thick lashes, I met your unique eyes.

As the days passed we had gotten closer. I was thankful that I had a friend like you.

"Do you remember..." you took a deep breath, "in elementary school when you brought cookies to school. You said you had helped make them with your mom and when I took a bite, they were burnt to a crisp. They were awful, " You laughed. I found no amusement in that statement. I crossed my arms like a little kid.

"I tried my best! Don't remind me." I placed a hand on my forehead, still feeling hot from the oven heat. "but you ate them anyways."

"Of course I did. I had the biggest crush on you." I found it hilarious how at 19, I still had no clue that you had a crush on me.

If only I had known. Maybe I would have shared my Hostess cupcake with you.

"You ran away from me every time I tried to hug you!"

"Well, yeah. You had cooties. And I was never going to admit having a crush on you."

You stared deeply into my eyes. In that instant, I became so self conscious that I looked away. Those blue-green eyes made me feel anything and everything.

"Don't hide." You spoke softly. Your deep voice was smooth like honey.

I stared at my socks, "Theo..."

What you did next surprised me. You leaned closer into me. Our noses were touching once again and I held my breath, shutting my eyes tightly.

"Evangeline, I'm home."

We jumped two feet apart, a rosy tint evident on both our faces.

Mom walked in and gasped so loudly I thought she was about to start yelling.

"Oh Eva. What have you done? You were never the best at baking sweetie." My mom let out a loud laugh. I rolled my eyes.

"Theo," she nodded, "it's nice to see you again."

Mom had gotten used to seeing us hang out daily. Dad on the other hand was still overly cautious but luckily for us, he was usually at work. It benefited both of us that our dads worked for the same company, therefore our schedules always fit like two peas in a pod.

I remember being so confused a few nights ago when my dad said he worked in the same company as your father. You would think we would have bumped into each other at a work party or something.

You said hello to her cheerfully, dimples and all. I couldn't shake this odd feeling in the pit of my stomach. You started acting as if nothing had just happened between us. We began cleaning the kitchen in silence.

I was disappointed in you. Or in myself. I don't know. I was just disappointed.