The bumps in the road

Start from the beginning

"Then i will politely select your family, yes the night fury, to be the grand prize and finale of the training."

"You can't give my m-... family as a prize! He is a living person!"

Stoic chuckles and the sound of it sends a chill into the petite female's body "he won't be living when that time comes, the finale my dear daughter is the battle in which the chosen champion will kill the elected dragon. Normally it would be a monstrous nightmare but now... well that all depends on you"

Hiccup takes a step back in utter horror. "You are a monster" she whispers "you are a fiend that has escaped from the pits of the underworld! A demon!"

Stoic glares at Hiccup, grabbing her arm and squeezing tightly. "You best watch your words girly, it might be improper for a man to lay hand on a woman but it's a different story for a father taking disciplinary actions towards his daughter you hear me?" He lets go allowing the girl to fall to the floor.

Hiccup falls back on her familiar, but now harder to articulate tongue, as it has some semblance to a safe and comfortable time.

"You despicable fiend!" She cries in the trusted language of the dragons.

"...Hiccup? Is that you?!"

The voice of her mate cries out to her, pulling on the string connecting the two fated souls. But she has no chance to answer.

Stoic leans down to the female crumpled on the floor "answer my question, do you agree to attend dragon training"

Hiccup stares back at the devilish man before nodding, so lightly that it is barely noticeable. "In words Hiccup, in Norse" "yes i agree"

Stoic straightens himself "Good" he then motions with his hand to some people in the crowd. Yrsa is pushed forward, heavily bound by thick ropes. Her sister is disheveled, blood smeared across her tired features and dirty bandages wrapped around her wounds.

Hiccup stifles the mournful cry at the sight of her beloved sibling, her hand clasped over her trembling mouth.

Next comes Aron, his big eyes are sunken and dull, deprived of the playful spark he used to have. His wings tied to his torso and his beak like maw muzzled. His eyes land on his baby sister and all she can see is the despair which contains a glimmer when he sees her, a glimmer of something she can't quite explain.

Hiccup feels her heart crack and her soul wailing in agony at the sight of her precious family in their miserable states. Her eyes water and the warm tears gather at the corners ready to spill and roll over her cheeks.

Then comes toothless and Hiccup can't stop the heartwrenching cry that leaves her lips even if she tried to, his usually glimmering dark scales are matted down by dark blood, his proud wings are littered with lacerations. Every wound on his body is swollen and seems to be at risk of infection if not cleaned properly judging by the amount of dirt and filth in and surrounding them.

She rushes towards her family, sobbing as she does so. With shaking hands, she lifts Toothless' head and with trembling lips, she presses a kiss on the cool scales on his nose that aren't covered with leather.

Toothless produces a whine in the back of his throat, softly expressing his worry for the small female. His female.

"...disgusting"

Hiccup stills her body, slowly straightening herself, locking eyes with the Viking who said it.

The female Viking glares back as she stands with her sword next to Aron, ready to strike him down at any given moment.