Sixteen

Happy Reading

* * * * * *

Sarah and Joey were home alone as her mother had traveled to her sister and Adham was in his own bubble with his wife. Sarah always loved those moments were she would have the house to herself with no one to disturb her or ask her to do anything. She must admit it was good the first two days but it was almost a week and she was feeling lonely as hell. Yes, she got her job to fill her mornings but sleeping alone in a big house made her nights longer, giving that the house was really huge for one person and a puppy. Also to wake up everyday and making her breakfast then making her lunch when she returned from work was ruining the beauty of staying alone with no Gehan bossing her around the house. Overall, it was a bittersweet experience.

Eyad hadn't contacted her as much as before, he was good with their texts from time to time and a call for emergencies or when she would be fed up and call to know how he was doing.

That new Eyad frustrated her, she didn't get what his problem was, they were supposed to be as before, best of friends, but he wasn't doing so good in that. It frustrated her even more that she knew Lydia was filling his time up and that was why he wasn't free for her like before.

So being home alone, with a newly wed and busy brother, a fiancé who was in his own work bubble and a best friend who was busy almost all the time, wasn't her piece of cake. She looked at Joey and found him looking at her hurt as if he could read her thoughts then gave her his back and strolled away to his mini bed.

"Perfect, just what I needed." She sighed and closed the television which was useless anyway as she was drowned in her thoughts.

When she stood to go sleeping she heard some noises coming from near the balcony, she dismissed it but then the noise was louder.

"Okay, relax, Sue, it must be a cat in the street, just go and call the security to shoo it away." She tried to calm herself as she brought her phone and discharged the charger then dialled the security guy but just to her luck there was no reply. When she was still trying to calm herself she saw a shadow that was too tall to be a cat, that was it to her, she panicked and dialled the first person that came in her mind.

At first, he didn't pick up but because she was so insistent that Eyad answered with a huff. He didn't know why she would call him now in an hour this late at night, he did all he could to get in her head that it was not normal to call him whenever she wanted.

"Hi, Sarah, you know it's kind of late now." She cut him off before he could continue.

"Eyad, there is some noises coming from the balcony. I think there might be a thief in the house." She whispered.

"It's probably some cat don't freak out" he replied calmly.

"No, it's not a cat , I saw a shadow."

"Sarah, and why would you call me , call the security." His reply surprised her.

"What do you mean why I called you, I'm telling you there is a thief and I'm here alone also the security guy doesn't pick up the phone. I'm scared." She whisper-yelled.

"Sorry, I can't come to your house when you're alone, call your brother or fiancé, Sarah." He said and hanged up. She looked at her phone shocked , she didn't believe that he said those words to her, she was asking for his help and he rejected her just because she was alone. She needed him because she was alone. What the hell!

She got to her senses again and called Adham , even when she no longer heard any noise she was scared to sleep alone in the house.

Adham came in no time and checked all the rooms and the balcony and there weren't any unusual movement.

"Calm down, now, everything is in its place" he said and sat beside her hugging her head to his chest. "I told you to come and stay with us." He sighed not wanting to dwell on the past.

Sarah sure was traumatized but it wasn't from the probable thief, it was from the friend who wasn't available when needed.

"Come on get ready, we are going." Adham pushed her lightly to stand up and went to get Joey from his bed.

"Don't tell mama." She said when they were on their way to Adham's house.

"Okay, I won't, but don't go running to tell her." He smiled ruffling her hair. He was trying to lighten her mood but she didn't even scold him for ruffling her hair.

"You know" she began catching his attention "Eyad let me down for the first time today." When he looked at her confused "I called him before calling you, he was the first name to pop in my head, but he told me so calmly that he can't come because I'm alone and it was late. Do you believe this bullshit?"

"Oh!" Adham cleared his throat , Sarah looked at him with narrowed eyes.

"What do you mean by 'Oh'?"

"Okay, Sue, you know what he did was right, you should've called me first, I do respect him more now." He looked away from her, knowing she wouldn't like his opinion, but he said it anyway.

"So you take his side now, I was in danger and you say it was right to reject me in time of need. Sure you care about my wellbeing, brother." She said in a scolding tone making him wince.

"That wasn't what I meant" he tried but she ignored him giving her back to him. "He called me." Adham said parking the car then killed the engine, he looked at his sister and sighed. "You know deep down what he did was right, and he do care. He is just your friend, Sarah" With that he exited the car waiting for her too.

* * * * *