Chapter 33: What We Should Have Done

Start from the beginning

"Though we grieve her loss, I will not allow that defeat to hamper this... oh so worthy cause. We will stand united in the face of this tragedy—of singular mind and of singular heart. To that end, I've asked my witch Ariane to conduct an assessment." Odessa eyes widened in horror as a young woman entered the room and took off her cloak's hood. "Tell me, Ariane—when you looked into their hearts, what did you see? Was it loyalty? Or something else?"

"Before each of you lies a card. A divination of your truest self. If your intentions are pure, you should not fear what it shows." Ariane answered calmly. Marcel looked nervously at the tarot card that laid before him but Odessa gave him a reassuring look. Lara walked over to Odessa as she turned over her card which revealed a Knight of Pentacles.

"A loyal knight." Lara said to the doppelganger with a fake smile. She continued to walk around the room and all their cards showed the same thing until she finally got to the man sat beside Marcel. Instead of turning his card over he stood up defiantly, nose-to-nose to Lara.

"I owe no allegiance to you." Lara smirked and decapitated him with one swift chop of her hand. Odessa gasped in horror as the body fell to the ground and Lara picked up his card. The Hanged Man.

"I will not tolerate anyone conspiring to use your present circumstances as an opportunity for a power grab." Lara said with a grim smile before turning to Marcel. "And you Marcel Gerard? Do you seek to betray me for power as well?"

"I'm hurt that you even have to ask." He flipped up his card, both him and Odessa holding their breath before exhaling in relief as it showed the Knight of Pentacles. Lara grumbled but still made her way back to the head of the table.

"Your loyalty bores me." She said with a grumpy sigh as she rested her legs on the table, making Odessa smirk slightly. "You witches must have something fun planned, right Ariane? No matter, I'll make you fun. Come with me."

Lara got up from the table and began to leave with Ariane. "They're all yours, sister of mine."

Odessa got up from her seat and moved to the head of the table to address the rest of the Strix.

"I'm sorry that you were all forced to bear witness to Lara's actions but as you can see—these are uncertain times. We need to be certain of each other. Despite what Elijah wants us to believe, the prophecy of their fall is all too real. And a threat to our sires, is a threat against us. I for one am committed to ensuring our continued survival." She raised her glass and locked her eyes on Marcel. "By whatever means necessary."

~Elliott POV~

Elliott walked through the witch's market and watched as Davina and her vampire friend tried to buy Angelica flower. The both of them had been completely ignored by her before Josh stole a random root and fled with Davina.

"Excuse me, ma'am, could I please get some angelica flower?" She glanced up at him momentarily before looking back down.

"I don't serve Mikaelsons." She answered.

"Even Mikaelson witches? That's a bit harsh, don't you think?" Elliott said with a fake smile.

"Like the many murders they've committed."

"I haven't committed any, I'll have you know I've prevented quite a few in my time."

"I'm sure you have." She said before turning her back to him.

"Including yours." She froze and turned back to face him. "Got your attention now, didn't I?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Six years ago, you were attacked quite brutally and left on the brink of death, when someone, that being me, saved your life." She looked a bit taken aback and he continued. "So come on Corinne, surely you can spare me a couple of angelica flowers?"

"Just take it and get out." She thrust the flowers into his hands and he moved to go find Josh and Davina who were busy bickering on the street.

"Josh, I'm sorry I haven't called you back. It's just things have been really—"

"Awful." Elliott finished for her. "But from what I've heard, the whole reason you have friends is so that you don't have to brave the awful parts on your own."

"What the stranger said." Josh added warily of him.

"I managed to get these for you by the way." Elliott said, handing her the flowers.

"Thank you...?"

"Elliott. Elliott Mikaelson." He replied with a smile that was met with scowls from both of them. "Probably should've just left it at Elliott."

"Probably should've just not come here in the first place." Josh growled.

"Just tell us what you want." Davina said exasperatedly.

"Tough crowd, alrighty then." Elliott said with a nervous chuckle. "I really am just trying to be nice. Honestly. Being resurrected 15 years older than you actually are isn't the best for your social life."

Davina laughed, seemingly warming up to him but Josh remained hardened to the new Mikaelson, particularly since he was the son of Klaus himself.

"Neither is being a Mikaelson." Josh snapped.

"Lesson learned." Elliott replied with a shrug making Davina chuckle again.

"Just leave it Josh. He— Whoa." Davina cut herself off as she saw a black limousine pull up beside the three of them. "Should I be worried or really excited right now?"

"Joshua, Elliott, Ms Claire, I assume you know how I am?" Lara said as she wound down her window and addressed them. Davina nodded nervously and she continued. "Grand. I suggest you get in. We have lots to discuss."

"You should go. You'll be fine." Elliott urged.

Josh looked at Davina in concern and she smiled at him reassuringly.

"I'll call you, I promise. See ya around Elliott." Davina sat in the limo and as it drove off Josh turned to glare at Elliott.

"Pretty convenient that the moment you show up; a crazy lady comes to take her away. Especially since you pressured her into going." Josh said angrily.

"I didn't pressure Davina into anything. She would've gone whether I told her to or not." Elliott replied with a defeated sigh.

"How would you know? You just met her!" Josh snapped.

"I don't need to have met her to know what Davina's like. Her story is known world over. Other Side included. I'm just trying to be nice."

Josh looked at him and frowned before letting out a sad sigh. "Yeah well, your family took everything away from us. Everything. Davina is all I have left. And I won't let you take her away from me. So maybe you're looking for friends in the wrong places."

A/N: So this has not been a Fiore heavy week, it happens. No songs for this one because I couldn't think of one that went well enough, if you can, lemme know and I might use it! I didn't upload yesterday because I cba, which also happens lel.

Anyway, I still hope you enjoyed! If you did, please, vote and comment! Love you as always, until next time! X