Chapter 6: Diminished Illusions

"Elliott!" I said whilst simultaneously knocking on the teenage boy's door. "Any plans with Cami and Vincent today?"

"Nah." He said grumpily. "They're interrogating suspects and you have to be 18 to be present."

"Great! You're on babysitting duty!"

"Why can't Freya do it?"

"Because me and Freya are gonna have a day drinking session."

"I heard day drinking and Freya in the same sentence." Freya said as she spontaneously appeared at my side, beaming as she waved a bottle of vodka. "Why are we drinking?" She asked as we made our way to the bar table.

"To get over my issues so that maybe I won't try to kill my family and fulfil my end of the prophecy."

"As much as I hate to say it. Drinking heightens your emotions." She said sighing as she put the bottle back. "We're gonna do something productive instead."

"Which is?"

"Pilates."

"Exercise!" I muttered, rolling my eyes. "My favourite."

She taught me some "fun" poses and I began to do them on the mat she had provided me with. I felt incredibly silly.

"This I like." Nik said with a seductive smile. "Need help?"

"Don't worry Niklaus, that's what I'm here for." Freya said with a wicked smile.

"And consider that illusion diminished." He grumbled. "What are you even doing here?"

"I live here."

"Yes. Obviously." He replied whilst rolling his eyes at her. "I just hadn't realised you were back from wherever it is you go to when you leave! Perhaps I was thrown off by the lack of strange gentleman callers perusing the contents of my refrigerator this morning."

"Your concern for my whereabouts is touching." She said, laughing at him.

"Not concern. I just want to know who's here at any given moment." He said with a shrug.

"Well if we're taking attendance..." At the sound of Hayley's voice, I dashed over to her and pinned her against the wall with my arm choking her neck.

"Oh goody!" I said, scowling at both her and Elijah. "If it isn't the not-so-loving older brother and the former one-night-stand! What a nice, normal family gathering. Only one thing missing, oh yes! A death, then it'll be a real Mikaelson gathering. Do you volunteer Hayley? I promise it'll hurt."

"Fiore!" Freya snapped. "Let her go!"

"Why would I do that?"

"Because I'm asking nicely."

"Try again."

"Because if you keep getting angry you'll feed into the prophecy." Nik said with a sigh. I dropped her and grumbled as I walked back to Freya and Nik.

"Okay you little backstabbing bimbo, what'd you want?"

"Charming." She said as she rubbed at her bruised neck. "Elijah was just catching me up on how you have no clue which one of your long-lost buddies you can trust and which one is trying to kill you."

"And of course, the situation calls for even more opinions." I retorted smarmily.

"I assume you told her about the prophecy too?" Nik said turning to his brother.

"I was just getting to that."

"Now would be good."

"Well it appears my bodyguard sire has a child that's a genuine seer, and in an effort to prove her good intentions, she got her to show us some rather dire visions of future doom. It's grim stuff, really—not for the faint of heart." Nik explained.