Chapter III

“What?”

            I was not only surprised, but in shock as well. The records showed that James never had a child. This was going to change not only the war, but the kingdom as well.

“You're a princess.”

“Yes, I am.”

“But the records showed he never had an heir.”

“That is because he covered it up. I was not born from his queen. My mother was his mistress and me, his bastard daughter. Still, I am his child and heir to his throne.”

“You are the child that died with his first queen…and his queen was your mother.” I concluded.

            I was defending James the Terrible's daughter. If my parents found out who she was, they would surely kill her. However, they knew that her father beat her, so they might show her mercy.

“There might be a way to stop the war.” she said.

“What would that be?”

“Trading me for a treaty between our kingdoms.”

“No, I'm not going to let that man harm you again.”

“Derek, you and I are sworn enemies. We have to fight each other.”

“No, we don't have to fight. Your father wants to fight.”

“And yours doesn't?” she asked.

“My father was attacked by yours. That's all there is.”

“I don't want to fight.”

“Neither do I, but we can't hide you from your father. He will come for you.”

“Yes, he will.” I heard my mother's voice.

            I turned and saw her in the door way, a hand resting on her growing stomach.

“How long were you standing there?” I asked her.

“I just walked in to check on her. When Valerio wakes up, take her to him so he can heal her wounds and bruises.”

“Who's Valerio?” Annika asked.

“The dragon that fought with me when we fought.” I answered her question.

            I got off the bed and went to my balcony, Valerio was still asleep. Even though I wanted to wake him, I didn't want to become Derek a la king. Summoning all my courage, I grabbed one of his horns. I gently shook it and his eyes shot open.