🌺Chapter Twenty -Three🌺

The truth was a dish best served in white lies. -F.A.I.T.H

Serene's PO💕

When I was little, my grandmother used to narrate me a fairy tale every day. I used to do every household chore just to deserve to listen to her stories. It was her belief that to get something, you have to earn it. Because everything has a price. Her ideology struck me from that day on. It was true. I didn't deserve Caleb. I don't know whom to blame. I can't blame him. It's not his fault. After years of guilt, he has finally let Lily go. I should be happy. I am happy for him. The fact that it wasn't me with whom he had let go, Lily It was Juliet. Should I blame her? Hate her? No, I can't. Because I have no right to do so. All she did was follow her heart. I know her too much to even consider hating her. She has been with me through thick and thin. I just can't hate on a guy who I have known for only two months. I should have told him. But what a difference it would have made. When his heart belonged to her. So I chose the hardest option. I forgot everything. I forgot I have written a letter to him, talked to him, spent nights with him, talked mornings with him, and loved him. Everything that makes me remember him The morning after, I woke up with swollen eyes and a killer headache at Flynn's house. Mikee was sleeping beside me. Stacy came and gave me some tablets. We didn't talk. She woke Stacy up. When she left for the shower. I couldn't pull the facade out, and I started crying. I was too broken and shattered to hold myself together. Jake came and hugged her. He lifted me up in his arms and led me to the hall. Unlike yesterday night, The house was clean. I saw everyone in the hall. Flynn was sitting on the couch with Asher. Zach was standing by the door. Mikee and Stacy came down. I sat on the chair. No one dared to speak. "Where is Jules?" I asked them. No one answered me. I repeated the question, then Asher replied, " She is in his house." I couldn't say anything. It was too much for me. I just nodded and said, "Glad she is okay. Caleb should have punched that poophead more." I laughed a little. Then I laughed more. And then I began crying. Why is this happening to me? I never did anything wrong to anyone. Then why the hell am I getting the punishment again and again? Mikee came forward and hugged me. She tried to calm me. I was shaking my head. I cried. "I love him, Mikee. I love him. He was the stable thing that was holding me. Now he is gone. And I am afraid that I will fall down harder." She cried too and whispered in my hair. "Everything is going to be okay, Sy. Stay strong." When I stopped crying. I looked at everyone. They are my friends. Who stood with me in my helplessness. So is Juliet. I should be happy. Caleb is the best she could have. And she indeed deserves the best. "Neither Juliet nor Caleb should know about this. No matter what happened. If they are happy, so am I. I can't be selfish with the two people I love the most in the world," I said. They nodded. Jake dropped me off at home. I thanked him and went to my room. I slept. I slept to forget him so that when I woke up, I could see it was only a dream. So I slept. It was Sunday morning. I got ready to go to the park. It's been two days since he hasn't called or messaged me. I tried, but it went straight into voicemail. So did Juliet's phone. knew where they were. She didn't tell me. Because she was afraid I would have another breakdown. Everybody knew where they were except me. But I knew he wouldn't miss our Sunday sessions. He promised he would never miss it. But promises are meant to be broken. Isnt it. So here I am in the middle of the park at 10 in the morning, soaked in water as the rain has been pouring down. Seven hours. I waited for him for seven hours. I am hoping that he will come at any moment. But he never came. I fell to the ground. I cried again. I heard footsteps approaching. I knew he would come. I looked up to search his gray eyes, but it was a pair of brown eyes. "Holy sh*t, what are you doing here, Serene?" he said, and he grabbed me. He took me in his arms and walked toward his car. I didn't resist. Once he got me inside the car, He asked me, "Where do you live?" I didn't reply, so he took me to Flynn's house. Once he reached He took me out. He knocked on Flynn's door. Flynn opened the door. He didn't notice him. He was shocked to see me in this vulnerable state. So he immediately held me up. He looked up at the guy who saved me. The guy explained how and where he found me. He thanked him and asked his name. He said, "Kaden."" The whole day I spent in my bed along with Mikee and Stacy. They did try to cheer me up. But it was in vain. I have stopped talking. Stop feeling. Because in my dreams, the only truth I have ever believed is nothing but a big lie. So when the next day came, I knew I had to encounter them. So I faked myself at most. Flynn drove me to school. My first period was with Juliet. I did skip them at the parking lot. They have come together. But I can't avoid her now. So when she came, I waved her a cheerful hello. She replied too. She was smiling. "So, are you okay? I tried to call you the whole weekend. Where were you? "I asked her. Although I didn't want to know the answer yet. "I am sorry. I was with Caleb. We went to Seattle to his house over there to clear my mind". She said. Seattle. He took her there. Now bear it, Serene. You only had to dig up the scar. You only have to feel the pain. I bite my cheeks to stop crying. "When did it start?" I asked her. "I don't know Sy. But the moment I saw him at the cafeteria, I kind of felt something. He felt it too. Then, with the tutors standing for me in front of Xavier, I lost my heart to him". She blushed. Great. It was my fault. "So, you two are together?" I asked her finally. She nodded."Yeah, he asked me out on Sunday". She said it smiling. I am feeling sick now. It felt like someone had pushed me off a cliff. That feeling of drowning in gravity was overcoming me. "I have to get out of here. I am going to throw up," "I said and stood up. I ran to the restroom and threw my gut out. Juliet came and stroked my back. I smiled weakly. She deserves happiness. I should let him go. I was in the infirmary when he came. He came and hugged me. "Angel, are you okay?"" Once his hugs meant the world to me, but now they're suffocating me. I didn't hug him back. He sensed it. He let me go. "I am okay. Must be food poisoning. What are you doing here?" I asked him to sound normal. "About that. I wanted to say sorry". He said. "What for? "I asked him. "For not contacting you this weekend. Sorry that I ruined your birthday." "It's okay. I am just glad you are safe, that's it. And don't worry, I know about Jules and you. She told me". I said, "So you are okay with it?" He asked me nervously. I faked a smile. "Of course I am. My two best friends getting together—what could be more great than this?" "Thank God, angel. I thought you would be angry" I gave him a small smile. "It's just that I love her so much. That I can't stop thinking about her. I never felt that way." I cut him off.
Hey, Caleb, I am tired. I will meet you at lunch. We will talk there". I interrupted. He didn't say anything. He got up. He stood there for some seconds. Then he said, " That was first." "What was? "I asked him. "You calling me Caleb?" You never call me Caleb. "It's always been a monster." I tried to stop the urge to cry. I bit my cheek harder. Until I tasted the blood and said "There is always a first for everything, Caleb" Then he was gone. I have lost him, and that was official."