Thirty-Eight

Narrator::

As Aaliyah laid in the hospital bed barley breathing on her own. Austin was right by her side, holding her hand.
"I should've been there with you." He grabbed her hand and held it tight. "This wasn't supposed to happen to you." He sniffled.
It has been a couple hours after the incident, when it happened he immediately called Mia to tell her that her daughter was in the hospital.
Her Mom arrived at 2 in the morning, she caught the cheapest and earliest flight out here.

"How is she!?" Mia ran into the room, racing to her side. "Still not responsive." Austin choked. He watched as Mia examined Aaliyah, she was looking at every mark that was left on her.
"Mia I'm so-" She cut him off, "This is not your fault Austin." She said still looking at Aaliyah. He did not argue back with Mia, he knew that it would just upset her even more.
"It was God's plan." She sniffled. Austin wasn't sure what to do in this situation, but the best thing he could do was hold Aaliyah's hand and hug her Mom at the same time. He placed a kiss on the side of Mia's head, "I'll let you be with her." He gave a small smile and walked out the room leaving Aaliyah and Mia alone.

"You're going to be okay." Mia whispered to her daughter. "You're going to get through this." She said moving a piece of Aaliyah's hair out of the way.
A tear escaped her eye, but a smile still showed through on her face. Seeing her daughter useless and not talking made her worry about was about to happen next, but on the other hand she knew that her husband was right with them. Though he wasn't physically there she felt that he was and it made her feel that her family was together.

Mia being the nurse she is, examined the scratches that were on her daughter. "Who did this to you?" Mia whispered as she gazed over her daughters face.
On the other side of the door, Austin was sitting down in a chair with his head in the palms of his hands. The world felt like it was moving in slow motion he had no clue what to do. He was sure that Mia hated his guts right now.

Moments later the Doctor came in, followed by Austin.
Mia and Austin turned their attention to him. "You must be the mother." He stuck his hand out. "Mia Shaw."
"Dr. Wayne." He then turned to Austin and nodded his head.
"So her tests came back with a small amount of Arsenic. We are not sure how this came into contact with her. Do you?" Dr. Wayne turned to Austin. He shook his head, "I don't know how."
"Is there anyway to get it out of her system and be okay?" Mia asked. "Yes actually, though it will leave damage on certain organs and may even cause cancer in the future." Dr. Wayne pierced his lips together. "Mrs-"
"Just Ms." Mia stated.
"Ms. Shaw, if you have any questions my nurse will be happy to come and get me." He grinned and walked out the room.

Austin sat down in the in the chair, Mia sat on the edge of the hospital bed. "Did you know about this?" She asked him. "Ms. Shaw I had no clue about this. I went my car and I heard her call my name, then I turn around and she fell onto the floor."
"Then how did this happen Austin?" She began to raise her voice. Austin shrugged and began to tear up. "I know, I broke my promise to you and I'm sorry."
He earned no response from Mia. She moved off the bed and moved over another chair next the him.

Mia grabbed Austin's hand, "I'm sorry, Austin. It's just Aaliyah is all I have now and I don't want to lose her too..If anything Aaliyah will pull through this, she is a very strong girl." She smiled thinking about the characteristics of her daughter.
Right after Mia said that, Aaliyah started to wake up. "Ugh." She brought her hands up to her head. "Honey?!" Mia shot up from the chair. "How are you feeling?"
"My head really hurts."
"Austin would you mind go grabbing the nurse and some water for Aaliyah please." Mia ordered him. Austin nodded his head and headed out the room.

"How long have I been out?" She asked, looking around the room. "Since you were at the park." Mia ran her fingers through Aaliyah's hair. Aaliyah nodded and closed her eyes, Austin and the nurse came back in the room to check on her and to give her her water.
The nurse checked her vision, blood pressure, and her heart rate.
"Blood pressure is a little iffy, we will keep an eye on it, other than that everything else looks good." The nurse grinned and walked out the room.
Austin gave her the water and sat on the other side of the bed. "Aaliyah I'm sorry."
"It wasn't your fault. If anything it's mine." She looked down. "I know know who Unknown was."

Mia and Austin's eyes were wide, waiting for Aaliyah to give them the answer.
Then Dr. Wayne walked in, "Glad to see you awake. I will be going over something's with you like, medicine and symptoms for certain things...You are very lucky to be alive, Arsenic could've killed you." He scribbled on a piece of paper handed it to Mia, "I want you to watch for mostly painful headaches and digestive irregularities." He pauses and have Mia the piece of paper. "I do want to keep her here for the rest of the 24 hours to keep an eye out."
With that he walked out the room leaving the three of them alone again.

Aaliyah cleared her throat, "I'm sorry for putting you both in this position, I should've been more careful. Especially for you Mom." Her lips started to quiver. "I always said I don't know what I would do without you and I can't imagine what you would do without me."
Mia came over and wrapped her arms around her daughter. "Honey, it's okay, everything happens for a reason just remember that."
Then Aaliyah wiped her tears, "And Austin, I probably made this night and the last couple weeks a living hell." She paused before crying again. "So if you want to break things off with me, I'll be fine with that because I put you in harms way."
Austin shook his head, "That is not going to happen. I love you too much to just leave you like that. I will do anything for you." He smiled.

"I'm yours."

>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<
June 3, 2018
Words: 1132