Twenty-One

Aaliyah::Shaw

It was a Saturday.

Finally...

Mr. Dash gave me the day off, he said I deserved it, since I ran around town with him and dropped things off to certain places after business hours. The only thing was that Austin was working today and I had nothing to do and no one to hang out with. I still didn't have Kimberley's phone number, so I couldn't call her up and ask her if she wanted to hang.

Then my phone rang, it was my mother. I was hoping it wasn't a call about Jay. I hate being away from my Mom, knowing that she's alone in California and I'm over here in New York.

"Hello?" I answered the phone.
"Hey Hun, I haven't called you in a minute." I felt my mom smile through the phone.
"We've both been busy."
My mom hummed on the other side.
"Has he been bothering you?" I asked referring to Jay. "Not as much anymore, but I do see sitting outside staring into space."

"Has he been like that before?" I asked her, concerned for her safety. "Not that I've noticed before. I was going to go over and catch up with his mom." She said.

Before Jay and I even started dating my Mom and his mom, Angie, were friends. They would do everything together, they would shop, work out, and for a while they worked together in the same building. After the event that happened with Jay and I they didn't talk much, but the still kept a friendly relationship with each other. Rather than hate each and give off death glares here and there.
When my Dad died, Angie spent most of her days over at our house. She helped my Mom get back on her feet because I had to be away at school and work.

After that I don't know why they sort of stopped talking, I really felt like it was my fault mainly.

"I'm glad you too still talk." I smiled. "I know...When are you coming back down to California?"
"Mom I don't know yet." I chuckled. "It better be soon, I wanna meet this boy of yours."
"I want you to meet him too." I smiled. There was a slight pause between the both of us, but on the other line in the background I heard someone calling my mom.
"Look baby I gotta go back to work, but we'll talk again."
"Okay love you!" I said. "Love you too."

~~

It was later in the day and I was watching some Animal Planet show. Which got me in my puppy feels, though growing up I never had a pet . Other than a fish, but what can a Beta Fish do? Nothing but swim around the tank and eat it's food. Although I did see a video of a fish being pet.
I was thinking about getting one, but I wouldn't have any time to be with it. I'm at work all day and don't come home till later now. So I dropped the whole puppy thing and moved on with my life.

I cleaned my apartment which needed som desperate attention, I began to clean and cook at the same time because why not. The past few days I've been eating salads at work because that was the only decent thing to eat there. I cooked some meat I had in the freezer along with some vegetables, nothing too fancy.

I looked across the room to a pile of files Dash sent home with me. They didn't need to be filled out until next week, but I'll get a head start that way I'm not as stressed with the current work he has to give to me.

~Monday~

"Are you free for lunch today?" Austin asked. He called me on my desk phone, he didn't want me to risk losing my job by talking to him on my personal phone.
"I might be." I bit my lip not sure. "If he doesn't pile more things on my desk, I'll let you know."

"I hope that doesn't happen, it feels like I haven't seen you in years!" He joked, making me smile. "You're not wrong."
Within that moment Mr. Dash walked out of his office and I switched my demeanor.
"Yes, I will gladly set up a meeting with you." I faked smiled. I could hear Austin chuckling on the other line. Once Mr. Dash was gone I went back to my non-professional self.
"So about this meeting...Does 12:30PM sound like a good time?" Austin spoke through the phone.

"Mr. Mink 12:30 sounds nice, but if I need to reschedule you for some reason, I will call you back to notify you." I smiled, but deep inside I was cringing at myself. "I will see you soon."
"Bye." I hung up the phone and went back to my work.

Mr. Dash walked by again, then stopped at my desk. "When's that meeting?" He asked. I was frozen a bit and wanted to laugh.
"Uhh, H-he has to make sure that his schedule is f-free on whatever day he wants." I looked at Mr. Dash with a unsure face. I didn't know if he understood what I said because I didn't even know what I said.
"Okay...Well you know what to do when he does schedule a meeting." He raised his eyebrow and walked back towards his office. "Oh and don't forget to fill out ALL the paperwork." He emphasized before entering his office. I quickly nodded then, I let out a deep breath and a small laugh.

~~

I walked down the sidewalk to the little cafe on the corner for lunch with Austin. I wasn't supposed to leave the office without finishing the work, but I brought it with me. I scanned the outside deck for his jet black hair, but couldn't find. Him so I walked inside to look and didn't see him there either. I found a table in the back corner and sat there and started finishing up my work.

I waited a couple minutes before calling him and when he answered he sounded very out of breath.

"Hello?" I cocked my head confused. "Hey! I'm on my way there, I swear I got held up at the office."
"Oh it's okay, I'm inside the cafe, in a corner." I said looking out the window. "Okay I'll see you in a bit." He hung up the phone before I answered back. Since there was no line at the register I quickly got up and ordered something before anyone decided to take my seat.

Luckily the food I order was easy to make and I was back at my seat in the back. Then Austin burst through the doors and walked over to me.
"I'm so sorry I'm late." He bent down to kiss my cheek. "It's fine, but you look like a complete mess now." I laughed moving a piece of his hair off his forehead. After I did that he ran his hand through it, "Thank you." He smiled.

I took a moment to admire him as a person. The way he always manage to smile when he's tired and what not. The way his eyes change based on the weather a certain day. Or his one piece of hair does it's own thing and doesn't stay in place with the rest of his hair. Whenever I see him I get a warm feeling inside and I couldn't ask for a better feeling than that.

Austin grabbed my hand bringing me out of my thoughts. "Are you good?" He chuckled looking at me with his green eyes. "You looked like you were in a deep thought, but a happy one because that smile in your face couldn't have been a bad one."
I blushed, "Was I really smiling!?"
"Yes, but I liked it...Missed it actually." He shrugged with a grin.

Our conversation died down and he went to buy his food, I continued to fill in the last line of the file.
"You're such a hard worker." Austin sat back down. "Thanks...I'm just trying to get as much down, so I can go see my mom."
"Anything special or you just going to see her?" He asked. "Just to see her and make up for not being there on her birthday." I then looked up from the file.

"Do you want to come with me?"

-•••••••-
June 14,2017
Words: 1414

Should he say yes or no?!? And also how did you like the chapter??

Oh and I updated two chapters for you because I felt generous😊