Twenty

Narrator::

Alex Mink was spending the day by himself, restocking the food in his apartment. He doesn't really cook for himself, so he buys things that you can just pop in the oven or microwave and calls it a day. The only time you'll ever see him cook is when Kimberly is coming over and staying the night. Which is usually about three times a week.

Alex was the more of the loud, but fun brother to hang out with. Whenever he was around everyone rather hang out with him than Austin, but Austin never paid any mind to it. In high school he was your typical jock, you'd see him playing a couple sports other than football. He was in one club and it was some sort of game design club.
Which is now his current occupation as you read earlier on.

He kept the club on the down low though, he didn't want to lose his "popularity" around school. Popularity in school isn't even worth it though and he sees that now that he is working at a big gaming design company.
Deep down Alex always wanted to be like Austin, he was always jealous of him. Which was weird because they were basically the same person, they were identical twins!

Same eyes, nose, smile, and same sense of humor.

Of course when their parents left the jealously stopped and the humor died down between them. They started arguing more and they slowly started to drift away from one another.

During the days of the separation of the twins, Alex was working two jobs. Just to keep up with the rent in his New York apartment. He barley managed to pay it when the deadline approached, plus he was balancing school at the time too. With no parents to help and money piling up from the excessive use of student loans to help pay a semester.

Months later he reached the student loan limit and the school stopped lending him the money. Then one day he was called up to the Dean's office to discuss why he was behind in payments.
"Mr. Mink?" The Dean looked up from his file. "Dean." Alex addressed with his hands folded in his lap. "The administration and I have looked over your file, along with others. But yours caught our eye because you have a big red flag on yours." The Dean grinned, leaning back in his seat.

Alex knew what it was and he was even more stressed than he was a couple seconds ago. "Do you know why?" The Dean raised one eyebrow, Alex swiftly nodded. "It's my payments." He looked down at his lap. "What's going on?" He asked.
Alex sighed and leaned forwards, "I don't have enough money...I was using student loans, but I used up all of them and now I'm struggling even more."
The Dean sat in silence, watching the Alex breakdown discussing all of this.

"Your parents aren't helping you?" He furrowed his eyebrows together. Alex shook his head, "No." he paused. "They left my brother and I without warning. Now we are or I am struggling to make ends meet."
"Have you asked your brother?"
"We don't talk anymore. I am by myself...I work two jobs and I can barley afford my apartment. You can see that I can't afford what I have now." You could hear the frustration and betray in his voice.

The Dean sat back in deep thought as Alex wiped some runaway tears off his cheek. He lifted up Alex's file and looked at the money he had to pay back, plus the amount he had to pay by next week.

Student loan borrowed: $6,480
Book payment: $1,000
Payback loans: $5,600

The Dean shook his head looking at the numbers. He knew that Alex was a hard worker by looking at his grades and other extracurricular activities.

"Mr. Mink...I'm willing to make a deal with you. I know how much you enjoy being here and how hard you work."
He caught Alex's attention and refocused him back to reality.
"What do you mean?" He asked.
"What I'm about to do is help you stay in this school, now you don't have to take this job if you don't want to."
"If I don't take it how long can I take to stay at this school and repay everything?"

"Not more than a week." The Dean folded his hands on top of his desk. "But to help slightly pay for the expenses you can be a house tenant for our dorms." A small smile appeared on his face.
Alex didn't want all that responsibility for that many people. Plus he would never be there because of his schedule at his two jobs.
"Sorry, but I can't." Alex slowly started to stand up. "No I'm sorry Alex...If you want I will let you think about it for a few days, then we can go from there."

Alex nodded and walked out the room. He thought about it and thought about it. He had no one to call, all his "friends" from high school changed their numbers or they are just not friends anymore. He couldn't get any help from his parents because they went M.I.A on him.
Eventually he came to his senses and took the tenant job on campus.
Of course he had to discuss the schedule over with jobs, but they were lenient about he. He was a hard worker so they told him, "Whatever you need, tell us."

This all happened about 3 years ago, but he is still paying off those loans. He is much happier now and has his brother back, parents may be in the works to getting back on their good side, but who knows.

A/N : Do you think the parents should fully comeback into their lives or no??

He hit a rough patch in his life and I'm sure there will be more to come, but he kept pushing and eventually got out of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"But the hard times are golden cause they all lead to better days."

-••••••-
June 14,2017
Words: 1019

Thoughts?