Trust

The Triskelion
S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters
Lat: 38N 53' 33.78 Long: 77S 3' 38.91"

"You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?" Steve asked Director Fury as he and Stiles walk into his office.

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission than yours." Fury said while sitting behind his desk.

"Which you didn't feel obliged to share." Steve snapped back.

"I am not obliged to do anything. Stiles doesn't seem to mad about it." Fury said, motioning towards Stiles who was standing quietly next to Steve with his patched up face.

"Those hostages could have died, Nick. Stiles got hurt," Steve said, giving Stiles a glance who seemed out of it. It was unlike him to be quiet this long.

"I sent the greatest soldier in history and a magic source to make sure that didn't happen," Nick defends himself. He crosses his arms, looking straight up at Steve with boredom.

"Soldiers trust each other. That's what makes it an army," Steve insists. He waves his hand, arguing, "Not a bunch of guys running around shooting guns."

"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." Fury argues, getting up from his seat.

"I didn't want you doing something you weren't comfortable with. Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything." Fury points to Stiles and says, "He is too, but I knew if I told him, this conversation would have happened a lot sooner."

"Damn right this conversation would have happened a lot sooner," Steve yells, "I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have a mission of their own."

"It's called compartmentalization, " Fury persists, "Nobody spills the secrets, because nobody knows them all."

"Except you," Steve confirms with an irritated smile.

Stiles raises his hands and closes his fist, causing a piercing sound to emit across the room. The two other men cover their ears, finally shutting up.

"God, now you're both quiet," Stiles buffs, wiping his hands against his jacket while both men look at him in shock.

"First thing first, Fury is a secretive stubborn ass but that doesn't mean it's without it's good intention, " Stiles looks to Steve, who nods his head. Steve loosens his shoulder, some tension releasing. Stiles looked to Fury and argues, "However, Steve had the right to know. A lot of things could have gone wrong in that mission. My face being one of them."

The corner of Fury's lip twitches, the only sign to show that Stiles might have gotten through. "Follow me," Fury says, walking towards the elevator.

"Insight bay." Fury said as all three of them entered.

"Captain Rogers and Stiles Stilinski does not have clearance for Project Insight." The elevator spoke.

"Director override. Fury, Nicholas J."

"Confirmed."

"You finally removed my real name and put in my nickname," Stiles said pleased, as he leaned against the elevator wall.

"I did." Fury said with a small smirk knowing the distaste that Stiles had for his birth name.

"What is your real name?" Steve asked curiously.

Both Stiles and Fury chuckled.

"You won't be learning it hopefully anytime soon. Only a handful of people know. Isaac and Jackson still struggle saying it. Sometimes, when it's just the three of us they say Mischief instead. The shorter version of my birth name." Stiles explains with a sad smile, thinking of his mom for a moment.