Chapter 19

"I thought you were going to recreate our first date?" I asked Jane. "This is an ice hockey arena."

"Very observant, Dr. Isles-Rizzoli." Jane smiled. "We are indeed in an ice hockey arena. We are also the only two people here. I know our first date was in a roller skating rink, but I figured I'd take you someplace you felt more comfortable."

"That's very sweet of you." I said. "but I-"

"Don't wear ice skates used by other people. I know. Did you forget that I've known you for ten years? We were romantically involved for six of them? I don't forget, Maura. I talked to Constance and she found these in the back of your bedroom closet. They're old, yes, but I figured it's better than buying you brand new skates that will make your feet bleed until you break them in."

Jane handed me my old skates.

"Jane, I haven't ice skated since college, when I injured my knee."

"I've never done it." Jane said with a smile. "You'll have to teach me...and hold my hand."

"I can certainly try." I said.

I started putting my skates on. I laced them and stepped onto the ice. The fall I took in college kept repeating itself in my mind.

"Just breathe." I whispered to myself.

All my worries, fears, and insecurities disappear when I'm on the ice.

I started to skate, gathering speed each stride. I went around the arena once...twice...three times before deciding that I was going to show off a bit.

I started with an Axel jump. When I noticed Jane was watching me, I got a little more serious.

I did a three turn and toe loop jump, which was pretty easy.

"Jane!" I yelled across the arena. "Find someone to throw me!"

Jane did as directed. A young man came out on the ice with me.

"Can you throw?"

"Yes ma'am." He replied. "If you get hurt though, I'm not responsible. We aren't supposed to throw."

"Understood." I said with a nod. "I won't get hurt though!"

I took off around the arena again.

"So what are we doing?" The young man asked.

"Triple Salchow."

"Whoa, wait a sec Maura...isn't that what you tried to land in college when you injured your knee?"

"Yes." I said, stopping in front of her.

"No. I'm not letting you do that." Jane said.

"Jane, come on! I'll land it this time!"

"How do you know?!" Jane yelled. "You could get hurt again Maura!"

"Trust me, Jane." I said quietly. "Just trust me."

She stepped on to the ice in front of me and almost fell. I reached out to catch her. She regained her balance and picked me up off the ice.

"Be careful, honeybee."

I caressed her cheek with my hand and leaned down to kiss her and for the first time in what felt like forever, I was whole again.

When I pulled my lips back, Jane whined.

"I wasn't finished yet!"

"I'm sorry." I whispered. "Shall I do it again?"

Jane nodded.