Chapter 17

A/N: Italics are Jane's flashback! Happy Reading!

Maura POV

Everything was in it's place. Everyone was ready to start the wedding rehearsal, but I felt uneasy. I felt like something was wrong. I called Jane, because she always knows what to do and say to get me to calm down.

She said she would make some calls. I haven't heard back from her. Just then someone came walking through Rob's back gate.

Jane.

She looked like she had been crying. She walked right up to me and held her hand out.

"You have to come with me, Maura."

"What's going on, Jane?" I asked.

"Please. Let's go."

"Where are we going? Why were you crying?"

She grabbed my wrist and started dragging me away from my wedding rehearsal.

"Jane! Stop!" I shouted. "What's going on?"

Jane stepped close to whisper to me.

"I was just at Mass. Gen. They had a jane doe that matched Emily's description. I went to check it out and it is her. It was hard to tell, because her face is swollen and she has cuts and bruises everywhere. I identified her from the tattoo she has on her right hip."

I stood frozen. She never mentioned a tattoo.

"Is she alive?" I asked.

"Just barely. Now, can we go?"

I nodded.

"I'm sorry, Rob. Emily is hurt!" I said.

"Wait! She's my daughter too!" He said.

Jane stopped walking and turned to face Rob.

"You have no legal rights to her, Jackass. I do. Let's go Maura!"

-------------------------
Jane's POV

"What did they say happened?" I asked Vince.

"Some asshole ran a red light, hit Emily, Emily hit a car with three people in it. One was a baby who was pronounced dead at the scene. The doctor said she has four broken ribs, two broken fingers, a sprained wrist and I broken nose. She had a dislocated shoulder, but the paramedics popped that back into place. They gave her a sedative and she will be in a lot of pain when she wakes up."

"I should go get Maura then?" I asked.

"Oh yeah. Definitely." He said.
--------------------

"They said they tried to call you twice every hour for at least three hours." I said to Maura. "They would've called me too, but I'm in Emily's phone as 'Jane' not 'Ma' or 'Mom'."

Maura looked out the window, her hand over her mouth. She was trying to suppress tears.

"Why didn't you answer?" I asked.

She shook her head before answering.

"I didn't have my phone." She said. "I still don't."

"Why the hell not?" I yelled.

"Rob took it so I could focus on the wedding rehearsal! God Jane, don't yell at me!" Maura said, crying now.

"Well, Maura what the fuck else am I supposed to do?! He shouldn't have your god damned phone and Emily shouldn't be lying in a god damned hospital bed all beat and bruised and broken. You are so fucking worried about your stupid ass wedding that you couldn't take the time to answer your god damned phone!"

Maura was sobbing now. I felt horrible for yelling at her like that, but something has to get through to her. Rob has made her someone she isn't and that needs to stop.

"Maura, I'm sorry, but our daughter is up there." I said pointing to the fourth floor of the hospital. "And it seems like the only thing you're worried about is your stupid fucking wedding."

"I don't know what you want, Jane." She said. "Don't you want me to be happy?"

"Of course I do. But I want you to be happy with me. I want you to care about things that really matter, like you used to. He changed you, Maura. Not for the better."

Maura sighed.

"So fix me, Jane. Make me who I used to be. Make me the Maura Isles you fell in love with ten years ago."

"I'll do that later. Right now we have a daughter to go see."

I took Maura's hand in mine and we walked up to Emily's room.

"Emily should wake up soon." Vince told us.

Maura looked into the window.

"Oh my god." She whispered.

Then she turned and faced me. I wrapped my arms around her and she buried her face into my chest. She sobbed.

"I'm so sorry, Jane. I'm so sorry for everything. I need you, Jane. Please don't leave me."

"I'm not going anywhere, Maura. I'm not going anywhere."