Chapter 2

"So, Ma is coming over tonight? Just to chill with us?" Emily asked me.

"Chill? Do you think it is cold in here?"

"No, mom. Not 'chill' as in cold. 'Chill' as in 'Hang out'.

"Oh! Yes, she's coming over for dinner. Actually, she should be here any second."

"Maimeo, look at my baby doll!" Zoey shouted, running towards me.

"Yes, sweetie! She's very nice. What is her name?"

"Clementine! Like Grandma Jane's middle name."

"When was the last time you saw Grandma Jane, Zoey?"

"When Mama went to see her. I don't remember when, Maimeo."

The doorbell rang and I scooped Zoey up and sat her on my hip and went to answer it.

"Hello, Jane." I said.

"Grandma Jane!" Zoey yelled, and leaned toward her other grandmother.

"Hey Zo-bug! Grandma missed you!" Jane said as she peppered our granddaughter with kisses.

Zoey squirmed in Jane's arms signaling that she wanted to be put down.

"Hey, Maur."

-------------------

Dinner was quiet for the most part. Awkward to say the least. After we ate, Emily and Tony took Zoey and went to visit Sofia. So, it was Jane and I. Alone.

"Wanna watch a movie?" Jane asked.

I shook my head. We were sitting on opposite sides of the couch.

"I think you should leave." I said.

"I'm not ready to leave."

"You shouldn't be here." I whined throwing my head back with my eyes closed.

I felt her lips on my neck before I could say anything else. She was biting and sucking and kissing. I loved it. I needed it. It took everything I had to push her away.

"Jane." I breathed. "We're divorced. This shouldn't be happening."

"But it is happening." Jane said pulling me up off the couch.

She reached behind me and pulled my hair out of the neat bun I had it in. She lifted me up with her right arm and pulled my shoes off my feet, abandoning them in the middle of the living room floor. She pushed me down on the couch and crawled on top of me.

"You're like a drug, Maura Isles. I tried you once and now I have to have more. I'm addicted to you. They way you look, the way you laugh, the way you smell, the way you taste. I'm addicted to you and I want you so bad right now." Jane whispered.

She took her right hand and propped herself up. She took her left hand and slowly undid the buttons of my blouse.

"Jane..."

Her lips brushed my collarbone. She put her knee between my legs.

"Ja-ah."

Her hands were all over me. She got my blouse and skirt off and kissed me hard. Yes, she kissed me hard, but passionately. Like it meant something.

She picked me up from the couch roughly and carried me up the steps to my bedroom.

I was completely naked by the time I hit the bed. Jane was back to my neck. Then suddenly her lips were on mine. Our mouths became a battleground. I was desperately seeking control.

Jane was on top of me. My nails dug into her back as she slipped inside of me. Deep moans escaped from my lips and disappeared into her mouth.

This isn't just sex, Maura. I said to myself.

Then what is it?

"Jane." I said pushing her away. "Please, Jane, I can't."

"We're already there, Maur." She said, looking down at her fingers that were still inside me.

"Oh, well, I suppose we shouldn't stop then." I said with a smile.

Jane laughed and captured my lips in another deep kiss.

-------------------------

Jane was behind me and had her arms around me, protectively. Her hands were in mine and I was massaging them.

"Do they still hurt you?" I asked.

"Sometimes. But I didn't come here to talk about my feelings."

"I don't suppose you just came here to have sex with me, either?"

"No, I didn't. I came so you had someone other than Emily to talk to. The sex was a bonus." Jane said with a laugh.

I laughed too.

"I miss you, Jane." I said.

"I miss you too, Maura." She said, kissing my temple.

"Why are we doing this then? I don't understand."

"It's complicated."

"The only thing making this complicated is the fact that we aren't together, Jane."

"Maura, we can't be together! We don't work. You know that."

"What I know is that everything was great until marriage came into our lives. We were the perfect couple. Then we got married and everything fell apart."

"You're right."

"I know I am." I said.

Jane sighed and pulled me closer to her. We both drifted off to sleep.