Chapter 14

A/N: Short chapter. Emotional chapter. We are almost finished with the story. I'd say expect 3-5 more chapters. Happy reading!

It was ten o'clock when my phone rang. I didn't have to work that day, so I was still in my Pajama's. Jane was taking a shower and I was making us a late breakfast.

I didn't answer the phone the first time Emily called, but she called a second time, so I supposed it must have been important. Boy, was it important!

"Good morning, Emily."

"Mom. If you aren't sitting, you probably should. I tried to call Ma, but she didn't answer."

I turned off the stove and walked over to my couch.

"She's in the shower. You sound like you've been crying. Is everything alright?"

"I just finished performing an autopsy for detective Korsak..." She breathed. "He wanted to know...how she...she...died."

"How who died?"

Her voice squeaked as she answered.

"How Nana died. She had a heart attack around four thirty or five o'clock this morning."

"No." I said. "No, that..."

"She's dead, Mama."

I could hear her holding back her tears.

"We're um, going to have a funeral next week. If you guys could fly back here, that'd be great. Vince is taking it really hard. Cavanaugh is too. We all are."

"They asked you to perform your grandmother's autopsy?" I asked.

"Yes. Look, can you just tell Ma? I've gotta go cry some more. I'll talk to you later."

I ended the call.

I sat there on the couch and stared at the floor.

A few moments later, Jane came downstairs.

She came behind me and kissed my cheek.

"What's wrong?"

I didn't answer. I just kept staring.

"Maura, what's wrong?" Jane asked again.

I turned my head to look at her and shook it.

"I don't want to have to tell you this." I said standing up and covering my mouth with my hand. The other hand on my hip.

"Tell me what?" Jane asked.

"I just got off the phone with Emily. She called to tell me that...that your mother..."

I started crying.

"Angela passed away this morning. Your mother passed away this morning, Jane. She had a heart attack. Vince asked Emily to perform an autopsy, to make sure that's all it was."

"My mother is...dead?"

I nodded.

"I'm so sorry, Jane. I wish there was something I could do to make this easier for you."

"My mother is dead?" Jane asked again. "No, I just talked to her yesterday. She was fine! I just spent a whole week with her."

"I'm sorry." I said, hugging her.

"We have to go to Boston. I know you just got home, but..."

"No, I understand. I'll go pack."

"Maura?"

"Yes?"

"I can't do this alone. Please, don't make me do it alone? Please tell me I have you? You won't leave?"

"You won't have to get through this alone, Jane. I'll be with you through it all. I promise."

I turned and walked up the stairs.