Chapter 3

Emily's POV

"Can you get Zoey out of her car seat, please?"

"Yeah, I'll get her." Tony said.

"I think we should get married." I blurted.

He was quiet for a moment.

"Okay. If you think you're ready."

"I do! It just makes sense. We've been together for two years. And that other thing we have yet to tell our parents about."

Tony smiled. "That other thing? You mean the fact that you're pregnant again?"

I hit him on the shoulder.

"Shut up! Ma's still here!"

"It's like 12:30 in the morning. Why would she still be here?"

"Who knows."

We walked into the house and Tony took Zoey to her room.

I tripped over a pair of moms heels and fell on the couch. I noticed a half empty wine glass sitting on the coffee table and an empty beer bottle beside it. I stood up and walked to the light switch and flipped it on.

Moms clothes were strewn about the room. Her skirt was on the floor next to the table and her blouse was draped over the back of the couch. A few hairs were stuck in the clip that held moms hair up just a few hours before.

I quietly walked up the stairs and slowly pushed moms bedroom door open. I saw her wrapped in her bed sheet snuggled up against someone I assumed to be my other mother.

I smiled and closed the door and walked to my bedroom and snuggled up with Antonio.

"My mother said it's twins this time."

"Oh my god, I hope not!" I said.

----------------------

"Emily, get dressed! You're coming to work with me!" Mom called.

"Okay!" I yelled back.

I walked out of my bedroom and bumped into Jane.

"Ma? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I...uh...umm...came to visit your mom before work to see how she was and I figured I would go see Zoey."

"Uh huh. Zoey's room is that way."

"Yeah, I knew that." She said turning around.

"Hey, weren't you wearing that at dinner last night?" I asked.

"Stop, Emily."

"Oh, you act like I'm dumb. Did you have a good time?"

She stopped and walked back to me.

She smiled.

"I had a great time, but I'm pretty sure she was crying this morning."

"Why?"

"I don't know."

I nodded.

"I'll find out."

-------------------

Mom and I walked into the elevator and went down to the morgue.

"Why did I come to work with you?"

"I need to talk to you."

The elevator doors opened and we stepped into mom's office. She passed me a set of scrubs.

"We'll talk over removing organs from a car accident victim." She stated.

I nodded and put on the black scrubs and white lab coat mom kept for me. I pulled my hair back like my mother did and pulled the purple latex gloves over my hands.