Chapter 6

Maura's POV

"Hey, Mom? May I speak with you?" Emily asked me.

"Yes, one moment sweetheart. I was just talking to Jane while I finished unpacking boxes." I said, pointing to the computer screen.

"Oh, actually, telling you both at the same time would probably be easier. Video chat makes EVERYTHING easier, right?" 

"Okay." I said, as I lifted my laptop off of the desk in my study and carried it to the living room behind Emily.

"Alright, what's going on, Em?" Jane asked our daughter.

"I was pregnant." Emily said flopping onto the couch.

"Was?" Jane asked.

"Yes. Past tense. Was. I miscarried a few days ago. Antonio is so upset with me. He says it's my fault; That I should have been more careful."

"Hey, now you look at me Emily Hope!" Jane demanded. "Something like that, is NEVER your fault, do you understand me? There was absolutely nothing you could've done to prevent that from happening. I don't care what your husband says!"

Emily stared at the computer.

"Ma, I made a mistake. I don't think I was ever meant to get married." She said.

"Some people aren't. I'm not, and I don't ever plan to get married again."

Jane was quiet for a few moments.

"I really hope Melissa didn't hear me say that."

I laughed. "You'll have to tell her sooner or later."

Jane smiled at me. "I'd prefer later. Hey, I have to go guys. Mel wants me to fix the bedroom door. I kind of broke it. Love you, babies. Tell Zoey I love her!"

"We will." I said to her, before she logged off.

"Mom, can we go back to Boston? While Antonio is still in basic training? Please?"

I smiled at my daughter.

"We don't have anything left in Boston, Emily."

"Yes we do." She said, with obvious disappointment. "You just don't want to go because it reminds you of Jane. Your 'pure boston beauty'. Your kickass detective wife."

"Ex-Wife. Yes, that's why I don't want to go back."

"It's our home though, mama. Can't we just keep this place for vacations or something and move back home? Cailin lives in what we called home now. We can't just go back."

"Yes we can, mom! I didn't even want to move out here! The only reason I came is because I would have missed you too much if I hadn't."

"Well, maybe you should've stayed in Boston then, Emily! You miss it so much? Go back! Get out of my house! Take your stuff, and move back to Boston!" I shouted at her.

She was almost in tears. The mother in me hated the fact that I just screamed at my only baby.

The only thing that can hurt you more than anything is when you fight with your child. When she finally spoke, with tears threatening her voice, she said the two words I had hoped I wouldn't hear.

"I will."

-------------------

This chapter is kind of all over the place, isn't it? I know where I want this story to end, I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to get there. Suggestions are strongly welcomed. Seriously. Vote and comment! I like that shit.