Chapter 10

A/N: Guys, I'm so so sorry. I love you all. I have a great reason for not updating. Do you want to hear it? A fellow reader/writer and I started a blog. On to the chapter!

-----------------

Emily's POV

When you live alone, you get scared by the smallest sounds. Dogs barking outside, the leaves on the trees blowing through the wind, the dripping noise coming from your bathroom because you have a leaky faucet. The noise that scares me most is silence. When you have a two year old daughter, you quickly learn that silence means trouble.

"Zoey, sweetie? Where are you?" I asked coming down the stairs.

After waking up later than normal and not hearing a sound coming from my daughters bedroom, I started to worry.

I heard her giggle.

"Zoey Jane Isles." I said, walking into my fathers home office.

She knew she had been caught.

"Why on earth are you coloring on Poppy's work papers?"

My daughter smiled up at me.

"Poppy said that I can color on the one's with red stamps."

I smiled back at her. 

"You are too smart for your own good, kid."

A few moments went by then my daughter spoke again.

"Mama, where's Papa? I miss him. He read me bedtime stories."

"Baby, I'm not sure where papa is. He doesn't want to see or talk to me right now, so he joined the military."

 "I miss Maimeo." Zoey sighed.

"Do you want to talk to her?"

She nodded.

"Okay."

I grabbed my phone and dialed my mother's work extension. It rang three times before someone answered. It wasn't my mom.

"LAPD Medical Examiner's office; How may I help you?"

"Hi, may I speak with Dr. Maura Isles please?"

The woman paused for a second. I could almost hear her heart beating, that's how quiet she was.

"Dr. Isles is not available to take phone calls at the moment. May I ask who's calling?"

"Dr. Emily Isles, Maura's daughter. Could you just tell her to call me back? Tell her that Zoey wants to talk to her."

"Sure, Dr. Isles. I will relay the message."

"Thank you."

Zoey looked at me expectantly. 

"Sorry, Zo-Zo. Maimeo is working. She'll call when she gets a break, okay? Mama might not be here though because I have to go to work too. Grandma Sofia is going to come stay with you."

The little girl nodded.

"Mommy, Ms. Joan said that I'm too smart."

"The woman from daycare?"

"Mmhmm. She says I shouldn't know how to talk sentences yet, mama. She gets mad at me for talking Italian words too. Why do I know how to do that?

"Because Maimeo and mama are geniuses and you have been around us YOUR WHOLE LIFE! Also, because Mama and Papa can speak Italian."  I said enthusiastically.

"Whoa, Mama! So you knew how to talk sentences when you were two?"

"Mama could play the piano at the age of two. Maimeo insisted that I be musically inclined and forced her sister to make me sit down for an hour everyday and play. She also wanted me to learn a different language so that I was bilingual before I entered grade school."