Chapter 15

"My mother was one of the kindest people you would ever meet. She had the sweetest soul and the kindest heart. She was gentle and genuine. Everyone loved her. My mother taught me so many things. She taught me how to cook and clean, walk and talk, stand up for myself." I looked at Maura. "She taught me how to love and forgive."

Maura stared at me and smiled.

"My mother was overbearing and protective of her family. She was spontaneous and could be a little brash at times, but she was still my Ma and I'm going to miss her so much."

I chuckled slightly.

"I'll even miss those stupid bunny pancakes she would make me."

Everyone laughed through their cries. They all had experience with the bunny pancakes.

"I'd give anything to have her back."

--------------------

"I'll get you something to drink." Maura said, looking from me to Rob.

"How long are you staying?" He asked me.

"Why? You planning on beating on Maura a little more?" I asked.

He stared at me.

"What? Did you think I wouldn't notice? I notice every little detail on Maura's body. You don't think I can notice how she winces in pain when she moves a certain way?"

I was lying. He didn't have to know that.

"I told her not to tell anyone." He growled.

"She didn't have to tell me for me to know. I'm just going to warn you, if you ever hurt her again, you'll have to deal with me. And where I am right now...I will kill you and feel no guilt. I will have no mercy on your soul."

Maura came back in the living room with a glass of water and handed it to me.

"Can I talk to you privately, please?" Rob asked her.

She nodded and followed him into his study. I followed her and listened through the closed door.

"I don't want her here anymore." Rob said.

"Honey, her mom just died. She needs to be with someone right now."

"Well it doesn't have to be us!" He shouted angrily.

"She doesn't have anyone else, Rob...So, yes, it DOES have to be us!"

"She doesn't need you to take care of her, Maura. She's a grown woman."

"She just lost her mother. How can you be so heartless? What happened to you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You aren't the man I fell in love with. The man I fell in love with wouldn't mind if Jane stays a few more days."

Maura lowered her voice.

"The man I fell in love with in college never would have smacked me around the way you did."

Then, I heard a third voice in the room.

"You hit my mother?" I heard Emily ask.

"It was one time, Emily. It isn't a big deal."

"Ray hit Danielle once. I wound up in the hospital with a bullet in my leg, remember?"

"Emily it-" Rob started.

"You don't have the right to speak to me anymore." Emily said coldly. "Zoey and I are going to stay with Aunt Cailin until Ma moves back to Boston."

Shit. Maura wasn't supposed to know that yet.

"She's moving back to Boston?" Maura asked.

"Yeah. She's using her alimony checks to buy a house in Beacon Hill."

"I forgot that I paid her alimony." Maura whispered.

"Maura, it really doesn't matter." Rob said.

"Yes it does. I'm going to be alone in California."

"I'm going to go pack some stuff for Zoey and I. I love you, Mom. Be safe. Fight back."

I moved away from the door so Emily could come out. She walked by and hugged me. I assumed Zoey was with Sofia.

"I love you, baby." I whispered as I kissed her temple.

"I love you too."

I walked back to the door.

"Now my daughter thinks I'm a monster and it is all your fault."

"No, it isn't! I-"

I heard his hand hit her cheek and her cry out in pain.

"You did this! You are the reason she hates me!" He screamed.

Maura cried out again.

I was about to walk in when I heard Maura say something to Rob.

"I won't let you do this to me again."

I opened the door and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Maura was pushing Rob away from her. She kneed him in the stomach and he doubled over in pain. She continued to push him until he was lying on his back on his desk. Her forearm was against his throat.

"Don't you ever hurt me again. I'm not an object you can use and lose. I'm a person. I have feelings and I love you, Rob, but if you keep doing this you can forget about our future and you can sure as hell forget about our past."

Rob did his best to nod and Maura let him up.

"You definitely have some Patrick Doyle in you." Rob said rubbing his neck.

"You bet she does." A voice behind me said.

I turned around. Sure enough, Patrick Doyle stood behind me.

"Next time it'll be me with my forearm against your throat. There better not be a next time."

Maura smiled at her father and ran over into his arms.

"Where have you been?" She asked him.

"Around. Watching." He answered, rubbing Maura's back.

"Don't let him hit you anymore. He doesn't deserve you. You know who does though?"

Paddy looked at me. Maura followed his gaze.

"She deserves so much more than me, dad." Maura whispered.

"She doesn't want anything more, Maura. She wants you."