Chapter 45 Part 1

Start from the beginning

She stared at me curiously while I continued to shuffle my feet awkwardly. I didn't mean to sound so possessive, but it came out naturally sometimes. 

There was soft snort, and I looked up to find her trying to muffle her laughter. 

Great, now she was laughing at my expense.

"Your face," she panted between wheezes, "You look like a guilty puppy."

I rolled my eyes and pretended to be angry, "Yeah whatever."

"Are you angry I made fun of you?"

"Yes."

She stepped in front of me and wrapped her arms around my neck, "How can I make you feel better?"

I was about to make a somewhat scandalous request when I noticed the glint of amusement in her eyes.  She knew I was faking it, the little minx.

She kissed my jawline and smirked, "How about you give me a piggyback ride?"

"How does that make me feel better, exactly?"

"You get the joy of carrying your mate," she said, moving behind me and jumping up. I grabbed her thighs and held her tightly as I walked out with a quiet grumble.

"What was that, Hudson? I can't hear you," she said, her voice filled with amusement. I looked up at her and tried not to gape like a fool. The sunlight was at a perfect angle on her face and her hair was shining under its rays.

She looked like an angel.

But then I remembered I was supposed to be angry, so I looked away and murmured, "You're huge. My back is starting to get sore, and I can hardly wrap my arms around your thighs."

She laughed loudly, making my heart skid helplessly around my chest. There was no doubt that I was absolutely enamored of her.

"It's called muscle, Hudson. Something you would have if you worked out more," she said, burying her face in the crook of my neck. I felt shivers wrack my body at the feeling and shook my head as she kissed my mark.

"I'm going to take you against a tree if you don't stop," I said, adjusting my grip slightly so my hands were closer to her ass.

Her lips formed a smile against my skin, "And have those poor chipmunks and squirrels be witness to our mating? No thank you."

I was ready to retort, but the group of trackers finally came into view – they were checking in with Matthew and getting their bags from the cars. 

Alexis got off my back and held my hand as we approached the group. 

"It's nice to see all of you again," I called over all the chatter, catching their attention. There was a blur of red and a pair of arms choked my neck as the she-wolf tried to hug me. 

"Hudsy!" The voice squealed in my ear. I felt the mate bond twitch a bit, and I knew that Alexis was trying not to act bothered by the she-wolf, who was currently kissing my cheek excitedly. 

I cleared my throat and pried her off gently, "Maisie, meet my mate, Alexis."

Maisie's brown eyes widened and her head snapped to Alexis, who greeted her with a kind smile. She squealed again and wrapped her arms around Alexis, "Luna!"