Chapter 11

ALEXIS

The stench was overwhelming, but I didn't know whether to be more worried that it wasn't a werewolf or that it was coming so close to the border.

"Well then, let's go investigate," Hudson muttered, yanking his shirt off. My eyes wandered over his body before I quickly snapped my head back to the window so he wouldn't notice me staring.

I was used to male wolves walking around naked since there were times that they couldn't find their clothes or didn't bring their clothes, but with Hudson, it was a completely different story. I felt this level of desire that I wouldn't feel with any other male wolf.

"Are you coming?" He asked, coming to stand right behind me and look out the window. My wolf happily sniffed his intoxicating scent while I tried to ignore the warmth of his body.

Why did Hudson have to be my mate? Why couldn't the Moon Goddess give me someone who would accept me for who I am? Why did mates naturally have to have an attraction to one another the moment they met? Why couldn't they develop it over time instead?

"Alexis!"

His voice brought me out of my daze, and I saw him open the door from the corner of my eye. Realization hit me and I quickly ran to one of the storage closets to grab my brother's old baseball bat. 

Hudson stared at the bat in confusion, "Why the bat? What happened to your wolf?"

"I can't shift yet because of the medication I took. They make my wolf weak," I explained, rubbing the metal bat affectionately. This was my weapon when I couldn't shift and it was the best weapon a girl could ask for. It was heavy, sturdy, and the perfect size for me. I couldn't count how many wolves I had knocked out with this.

He eyed it warily as if I would whack him instead, which I might if he continued to act like a jerk. I marched past him with the bat on my shoulder, "We haven't got all day, Hudson. Move it."

He rolled his eyes and shut the door behind him while I continued walking towards the pack border. When we reached the line of trees in front of the border, I stopped and looked around as Hudson's wolf sniffed the ground, his brown tail wagging behind him furiously. 

I looked down at him and his ears stiffened and twitched as if he heard something. My werewolf hearing was weaker, but I did my best to try and listen for any noises the creature made. 

It was barely audible, but I could make out the sounds of rustling coming from the east, about a quarter of a mile away. I nodded at Hudson and let him lead the way through the woods, trusting that he knew the way better with his werewolf senses. As we got closer, the stench became almost unbearable, but I sucked it up and buried my nose in my sleeve. A few seconds later, Hudson suddenly stopped and growled quietly, backing up as if he wanted to protect me. 

How cute, but I didn't really need protection right now. 

My eyes wandered over the mass of trees as I wondered why Hudson stopped here. There didn't seem to be anything here. I was about to ask him, when all of a sudden, there was a black shadow that sped through the trees. It disappeared into the darkness of the woods so quickly that I almost thought I was imagining things.

But then, there was another. And another. 

The hair on my back of neck stood as a shiver ran down my spine. It felt like someone was watching me. I turned around slowly and gripped the bat tighter at the sight. 

 A pair of yellow eyes, with blood red veins surrounding the pupil, stared right back at me. 

I didn't even have a chance to see if Hudson noticed the creature because it started coming closer. It was odd to see it come closer so comfortably.