Chapter 1: New Beginnings (Camila's P.O.V)

Camila's P.O.V: 

I've come to realize something, and it's not something I could ever explain to anyone, but it's something that I mentally understand. 

In the mornings when I'm alone in my room just lying in bed, I think about things. I think about how life might play out, and how I might be that day, who I will meet, what I will do, and anything else that might consume my mind. 

Through that time I spend alone, I have come to find that maybe I don't need other people to aid in my life. I can do just about anything by myself, and complete it better than anyone else can, and that's OK.  

I have never really had any friends, but if I did I probably wouldn't be able to keep them. I just don't have the personality for other people. I'm bubbly and happy if you get to know me, but that relies entirely on the 'IF' part. I don't let people in, because people break others. It's in human nature to be self- sufficient, and worry about ourselves first. 

I have had first hand experiences to explain this, and honestly, I don't mind. If people only want to hurt you, then keeping them out is the only way to protect yourself.  

-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-'-  

I finished thinking and got out of bed. I looked at the clock and it said 6:15 am on it. I knew it was early, but I wanted to look my best for my new school. This was the fourth school I had been to this year, and I had learned quickly that if you look nicer, it tends to make things easier. 

I went straight to the shower after turning on my music and hopped in. I'm not one to sing much in the shower, but it just gives me more thinking time. I just stare at the walls until I feel the water begin to get cold, then I get out.  

I was standing in front of the mirror about to dry my hair when I saw the bruises across my shoulder. They wrapped around from my collarbone all the way to the top of my spine. They were a dark purple and black color, but I was grateful that I could just where a shirt to cover them and not have to use make-up or anything. 

I dried my hair and just left it down. After doing my make-up I went into my room and got the uniform for my new school. It was a burgundy skirt and blazer, with a white blouse and a black tie. It wasn't the prettiest thing I had ever seen, but I have seen worse.  

After slipping it on I found some flats and put those on too. I grabbed my phone and my side bag which I used more as a book bag and headed downstairs.  

Once I made it to the kitchen I started some coffee and grabbed a slice of cold pizza out of the fridge. Yes, I realize that it sounds disgusting, but I need my coffee, and I was starving.  

I poured the black coffee into a mug and was about to leave when I saw a young girl, maybe in her twenties, walking downstairs. Her eyes had mascara running from them and her blonde hair looked to be in knots. She was small, but still had some meat on her body. She wore one of my dad's old t-shirts, and I knew instantly that she must have stayed the night. I didn't recognize her as one of his regulars, so I knew that this probably was one of her first. 

She didn't see me until I coughed softly to announce my presence. She jumped back and looked me straight in the eyes. 

"Coffee's in the brewer and the cups are in the cabinet closest to the stove." I said as I walked past her. She seemed confused, and I could understand why. This obviously wasn't her normal scene, but something she was trying to fit into.  

"Um, thanks, who are you?" I didn't answer her. I had learned a long time ago that asking questions only made things to personal. As you can tell, these little instances happen pretty regularly with my dad. He's a bit, no, he's really messed up, but there isn't anything I can do.