Chapter One: Thanksgiving

Start from the beginning

Levon slid right back into his bed and tucked himself away to go back to sleep, but his eyes stayed open to watch Todd. Todd dropped his bag on the lumpy, little couch, then tiredly fought out of his socks, hoodie, and jeans, leaving them on the floor as if he lived here. Levon relented that Todd pretty much did live here. The guy had spent nearly every day at Levon's house since they met halfway through the sixth grade. Now in their second year of university, Todd spent almost every day of his holidays at Levon's house.

Todd climbed into the double bed in his Family Guy boxers and a t-shirt. He took several moments to get himself settled under the blankets. He lay on his side, facing the wall with his back to Levon.

"If you hog all the blankets you're going to be sleeping on the couch," Levon put the threat out even though they were both well aware that it wouldn't happen. They had both outgrown the uncomfortable couch years ago.

"If you try to cuddle with me, I'll smother you," Todd spoke on a yawn.

"Smother me with kisses," Levon asked teasingly and Todd swung a hand out behind him, landing a hit on Levon that didn't hurt at all. Levon laughed.

"Fuck off."

The two men didn't wake up until close to noon. Levon blinked the sleep from his eyes, then turned to look at the man sharing his bed. Todd was facing him now, hugging a pillow to his chest and snoring lightly. Levon traced his eyes over the hard features of Todd's face, now softened with sleep, messy hair sticking up every which way. Levon noted the freckles that were barely visible against the faint tan on his skin and the stubble that was now tapering along his jaw in the dim lighting.

A warmth spread in Levon's belly, a warmth that was there whenever Todd was with him. They weren't friends. They would never be friends. Todd had made that clear when they were children. But they were something. Something that was always there to protect and comfort. The way Todd always kicked the shit out of Levon's bullies until Levon was strong enough to do it himself, and when Todd would hide in Levon's room to avoid going home to his mother.

Levon rolled out of the bed and snorted a laugh. He had clearly stolen most of the blankets through the night and Todd had retrieved the spare blanket from the couch to keep himself warm.

Levon moved to his dresser and changed into a pair of clean boxers, jeans and a red shirt with three buttons on the collar that he left undone. Then he padded out of the room to the bathroom to freshen up. By the time Levon was walking into the kitchen, he smelled a lot better and was much more awake.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty," was the greeting that welcomed him into the kitchen.

"Morning, mama," Levon spoke to his mother, Bree. His other mother, Gwen was flipping pancakes at the stove while Bree was sitting at the kitchen island counter with Lev's little sister, Ophelia.

"Want some breakfast?" Gwen asked and Levon nodded with a thankful smile before he slid into one of the empty stools next to his sister.

"Want to play soccer later?" Ophelia asked and Levon gave her a smirk.

"You want me to kick your ass again?"

"Language, Lev," Bree scolded, her eyes not leaving the Sudoku she was working on. "Being twenty doesn't mean you can curse in front of your mommy."

"Yeah," Gwen turned her head to look at Levon, a smirk on her face. "Watch your fucking language."

"Gwen!" Bree snapped, facing her wife, humour on her face. "Watch it!"

"What?" Gwen faked innocence while the two siblings snickered. Ophelia and Levon both looked a lot like Bree. They both had her brown eyes, mischievous features, and her tall, slender form. Levon was the only one to inherit her blond hair. Ophelia long brown hair and an elegant way of holding herself.