Part 15

For the next few days, Mark set himself into a routine. He'd even gone to the lengths of borrowing books from Matthias on the subject of pregnancies. Mark didn't tell him why and Matthias didn't really ask. Every morning, Mark would get up and make Jack his special tea from Rosemary. With Jack sleeping longer and longer into the day, it gave him plenty of time to read up on a few things. The whole subject was uncomfortable to him. Not because he didn't want kids... but because he had never heard of a situation like this happening before. If something went wrong, then he wasn't just losing the love of his life... He would be losing his best friend too. He wasn't sure he was ready to give up either of them. He'd much rather distract himself with pointing blame, but what good would that do him? 

Jack was already pregnant. The damage was done. All he could do now was focus on making Jack comfortable and helping him get through this. Chica curled up with him on the couch as he read through the last chapter of the book. It gave him some relief to know that Jack's new sleeping habits were normal. Making a kid was exhausting on the body. The most heartwarming thing he noticed was that Jack was no longer coughing up blood. In fact, when Jack was up, he was like his old safe again. He felt like he owed Rosemary just for that victory alone. From the kitchen, his kettle started to whistle. Slipping out from under Chica, he set down his book to finish making Jack's tea for today. Sipping his own coffee, he finished making Jack's tea and headed for the bedroom.

Opening up the door, Mark smiled. Jack was curled tightly in the warm blankets, sleeping soundlessly. He always hated waking him up, but Jack never stayed up for very long anyway. Easing down onto the edge of the bed, Mark touched the tip of Jack's nose. Jack snuggled deeper into his blankets, leaving just his tussled bright green hair visible. Mark ran his hand through Jack's hair, whispering to him in a deep warm voice. "Come on, Jackaboy. You know the deal. Drink this and I'll let you sleep". Jack started to emerge from the blankets, looking like he wasn't even a little awake. Mark held the cup for Jack as he leaned in to drink it down. When the cup was empty, Jack turned over in the bed and snuggled back into a deep sleep.

Mark rubbed Jack's back, before climbing back to his feet to leave. Heading back into the kitchen, Mark sat at the table finishing up his book and coffee. The house was so quiet and peaceful that he didn't see the harm in taking a quick nap himself. When Jack finally forced himself to get up, he strolled off to the kitchen. His nose had been telling him that something good was cooking, but upon entering the kitchen... He just saw Mark with his head resting on his arm. The poor guy was probably just as tired as he was these days. Letting Chica outside, Jack ventured around the kitchen for some food. He didn't want to be on his feet long. He was suppose to be taking it easy and not stressing himself out. However, nothing Mark had in his fridge or cabinets was easy to make. 

He loved the fact that Mark could cook... but that didn't help him now. He thought about cooking himself. He was pretty good at it. Sadly, his cravings took over the minute he started thinking about food. So, he began to pull things down from the shelves and out of the fridge. Grabbing a bowl from one of the cabinets, Jack just started dropping things that were edible into it. Starting with pretzels, then chocolate syrup, a pickles or two, some graham crackers, and a banana that he saw. Stirring the bowl up a bit with his fingers, he thought about how gross it looked. Yet, his stomach said otherwise. Picking up pieces of pretzel, he smeared it into everything else and ate it. It wasn't half bad... or maybe his mind had finally cracked. Either way, he was eating and that was all his body cared about. 

Mark awake shortly after, stretching as he sat up. His nap had gone on a lot longer than he had intended. He knew Jack was probably hungry by now. Sitting back in the chair, his eyes drifted to the island counter where Jack was eating from a bowl. Jack smiled at him, asking playfully. "Sleep well"? Mark stiffly got up, answering dryly. "No. Not really. What are you eating"? Now that he was standing, he could see into Jack's bowl. It looked... Really gross. Jack licked his fingers, looking down at his bowl with wide eyes as he said. "You know... I don't know. I'm pretty sure it is all edible though". Mark tilted the bowl to get a better look inside at the ingredients, asking very concerned. "You don't know... but you're eating it"? Jack nodded, pulling another piece of pretzel from the bowl, answering with a wicked smile. "Yep. It's not half bad".

Mark let go of the bowl, turning away as he muttered out. "I think I'm going to be sick". Jack rolled his eyes, sucking the vinegar and chocolate syrup off the pretzel as he mumbled out. "It's not that bad". Mark took a deep breath, then turned his eyes back on Jack to say lightly. "I can't leave you alone for a second, can I"? Jack shrugged innocently, pointing at the bowl with his pinky finger as he muttered out with a smile. "Hey, I made myself something to eat for the first time in days. You should be happy". Mark nodded, grumbling out sweetly at all the clutter in the kitchen. "Oh, I'm thrilled. You made yourself... slop". Jack rolled his eyes, muttering out under his breath playfully. "It's not slop...". Mark walked around to kiss Jack's shoulder, stating with a warm smile. "I don't think I could even bribe Chica to eat that... How about I make you something... Good"?

Jack leaned back against Mark's warm chest, closing his eyes as he nodded. Mark wrapped his arms around him, holding him close, while asking softly against his ear. "What are you craving? Pizza? Sushi? Me"? Jack elbowed Mark in the ribs weakly, causing them both to share a chuckle. Slowly turning to face Mark, Jack nestled his head against Mark's shoulder, whispering hopefully. "Your home made dumplings"? Mark kissed his forehead, whispering back. "I can do that, but you need to sit down for me. Ok"? Jack reluctantly nodded, pulling away to head for the living room. Snuggling across the couch, Jack started to browse through Netflix. Mark let Chica back inside, letting his hand slide across Jack's side as he passed by the couch. Jack touched his hand, but his eyes were focused on the TV.

As Mark set to work in the kitchen, he'd look up every now and then to see Jack snuggling with Chica and watching the newest shows. He dreaded tomorrow a bit. Tomorrow was their appointment to see Dr. Asher again. Jack had reached his second trimester, but he still didn't look any different to him. If Jack was gaining any weight at all, he was hiding it well. Although, it was still early according to his books. He told himself that whatever the doctor told them, he'd be there for Jack. This was scary for him... and that only meant that this was even scarier for Jack to handle. As long as he kept him happy, he felt like it would get them through anything. Somewhere between cleaning up Jack's mess and getting their dinner started, Jack had managed to slip off out of sight. Drying his hands, Mark searched around for him.

He had been so distracted with dinner that he couldn't remember the last time he had seen him. Heading back to the bedroom, he peeked inside to see the bed was empty. He was about to search somewhere else, when he heard water softly splash in the bathroom. Hesitantly, Mark pushed the bathroom door open, hoping that everything was alright. As the door creaked open he smirked in relief. Jack was laying in the tub with his earbuds in and playing with the bubbles like a little kid. When Jack spotted him in the doorway, he pulled out his earbuds, asking a little worried. "Something wrong"? Mark casually walked in to sit on the edge of the tub, saying calmly. "How long have you been in here"? Jack rolled his eyes, sinking lower into the water as he mumbled out. "About a minute, why"?

Mark let his hand dip into the warm water, letting his fingers brush along the length of Jack's leg. He knew Jack didn't like being watched all the time, but he worried about him. So, he thought it was best not to answer. He'd let his actions speak for him. Jack giggled, shifting his leg away and chuckling out. "Mark... Don't... I just started to relax". Mark shot him a wicked smirk, letting his voice drop deep as he purred out. "I can help you relax much faster"? Jack blushed a bright red and he jerked as Mark's fingers trailed over his thigh to slip between his legs. Mark loved seeing Jack act so shy and innocent. It made his heart skip every time. Jack bit his lower lip shyly, before telling him coyly. "Shouldn't you be watching over our dinner"? Mark leaned over the tub a little to give his hand a bit more reach, telling Jack with a wicked grin. "I'm thinking more about dessert".

Jack's eyes fluttered a moment, clearly aware of what Mark's fingers were doing to him beneath the waters surface. Jack forced himself to swallow, before sitting up to cup Mark's face and pull him into a lust driven kiss. To Be Continued...