Dresses and Dates

Start from the beginning

            “You’ll have to deal with him at Hogwarts next year and when we’re home, Fred. It’s not like he’s moving out.” I told him.

            “Still. This is one step closer.” Mum gave him a look that could kill and he stiffened in fear. “Um… Dad, let’s go get whatever it is you wear to a Yule Ball.” He quickly stood up and headed for the door. Dad followed him and left me and Mum there.

            She shook her head and laughed softly. “He acts just like his uncle.” She commented.

            “I’ll take your word for it.” I smiled.

            She looked at me and said, “How are you doing, Sweetie? We haven’t owled in a while.”

            I shrugged. “I’m fine. I’ve been busy trying to find out what the next task is so Max can get prepared.”

            She sighed. “Paige, you don’t have to worry about it. I’m sure Max will handle it.”

            “I can’t help but worry about him, Mum. I don’t want anything to happen to him. I love him.”

            She stood up and came over to hug me. “I know, Sweetie. I know exactly how you feel.” She kissed my head then looked into my eyes. “Let’s go shopping, huh? We’ll get you a dress that every girl will envy.” She winked.

            I smiled and said, “Ok.”

            We left Hog’s head and walked down the street to Gladrags Wizardwear where practically every student or visitor was buying their dresses or dress robes for the ball. It was crowded in the shop and I saw so many familiar faces including Max, Prudence, Victoire, Melinda and our roommates, Darren, and Minnie. The girls were grabbing any dress they could their hands on and I was nervous that I wouldn’t get a good dress. Mum pushed her way to some dresses and grabbed a couple for me to try on swearing they’d all look good on me. Once a dressing room was open, I went in and started trying on dresses. There was a pink one that looked nice on the hanger but not on my body. The same happened with the next five dresses and felt like I wouldn’t find any. Maybe I could wear Mum’s dress since she still had it in her closer. That or the white one she had and had never touched.

            I sighed after taking off a blue dress and grabbed the purple one; which was the last dress. I slipped it on and looked at myself in the dress. This was it. The dress was long and strapless with a silver and red design at the top and a brooch holding the design of the dress at my waist. It was perfect and I had to show it to my mum. I opened the dressing room door and my mum instantly gasped. A smile crossed her face as she walked over to me and said, “You look beautiful.”

            “Thanks.” I smiled back. “You don’t think it’s too long or revealing do you?”

            She shook her head. “Paige, you look perfect.”

            “Oh my god!” Melinda squalled next to me and I turned to look at her. She was in a dark blue, long, strapless dress that had ruffles from the waist down and diamond studs all over the top. She looked beautiful and I knew she would be getting that dress. “You look beautiful.” She gushed.

            “So do you!” I smiled at her. “Your date is gonna love it whenever you get asked.”
            She smiled. “Well, I actually already did.”

            My eyes widened. “Who asked you?”

            “Your brother.” She grinned. “I didn’t think he’d ever ask.”