My Deal with Darren

My Deal with Darren

I woke up on Friday the thirteenth from a dream about Max winning the Triwizard Cup like I had since my birthday. The dreams were making me feel better but I knew they were fixed. I found that Max had put a spell on the picture of the two of us to give me that dream and I knew it was to get me to calm down. It was working but I was still worried about him. I sat up in my bed and found the room was empty. Everyone must have been at breakfast. I got up and changed out of my pajamas and into a sweater, jeans, Converse, and grabbed a heavy jacket, my Gryffindor scarf, beanie, and gloves before leaving my room.

Like I thought, everyone was in the Great Hall eating I walked the aisle between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff before taking a place between Fred and Max. “Are you watching Quidditch today?” Max asked and I looked at him. 

“Of course. Don’t I always?” I smiled and he smiled back.

“You seem happier.” He pointed out.

“Well, thanks to your bewitched painting, I’ve been having a dream that makes me happy but that doesn’t mean I’m not worried.”

“As long as you’re happy, I’m happy.”

I smiled. “Then I’m happier.”

After breakfast, Victoire, Darren, and I walked to the Quidditch bleachers and took a spot as the team warmed up. I looked over at Darren and asked, “So, have you figured out the task yet?”

He rolled his eyes and sighed. I’ve been asking him that for a week now and every time he said he hadn’t. “Not yet, Paige. I told you when I do I’d tell you so you can tell Max.”

“And I’ll tell you too.” I added. That was the deal I made and didn’t regret. It was a sure fire way I’d help Max get through this thing.

“Have you heard how the other two are doing?” Victoire asked.

“No. Valentina and Brad tend to be private.” Darren said. “We have an interview today though so maybe they’ll slip up something.”

“Hopefully they haven’t figured it out yet either.” I said. “Don’t want those two to get ahead.”

He nodded in agreement. “Yeah. If I lose to anyone, it better be Max.”

The team started practicing then and I waved to Max as he flew by and Victoire blew a kiss to Teddy. They waved back then focused completely on practice. That left Darren, Victoire, and I to talk and cheek them on every once in a while. Once practice was done, Max flew over to us and looked at me. “Join me.” He said and stuck out his hand.

“Only because you asked so nicely.” I smiled and took his hand.

He got me onto the broom and we flew away from the stands. I held onto him as he flew us around Hogwarts and then went to our spot under the bridge. I was relieved when we landed because flying in the already freezing weather is horrible. I tried warming up my face while Max put the broom down. He then looked at me and laughed.

“A little cold?” He asked.

“Very.” I answered. “I don’t know how you Quidditch players do this.”

“Warming spells.” He said and waved his wand. It got warmer around us and I sighed with relief. “Better?”

“Much.” I answered and sat down. He sat by me and I said, “Darren hasn’t figured out the task yet.” 

“Is that really what you want to be talking about right now?” He asked.

I looked into his eyes. “I don’t know. There’s nothing really to talk about. Unless you have something to say.”