The Arrival

The Arrival

The Quidditch field was cold and windy on October thirtieth. I sat on the bleachers with Victoire and watched as Fred, Max, Teddy, Melinda, and the rest of the team ran drills for practice. Victoire was the only none Gryffindor allowed in practices since Teddy wanted her there and we all knew she wouldn’t tell her house’s team about our practice. Her loyalty to Teddy was way stronger than her loyalty to her house. We sat there and talked about classes while we cheered every so often when the team did a great job. Teddy released them after two hours and the guys started goofing off. Max flew over to us and he smiled at us.

“Anyone care for a ride?” He asked and Teddy flew over.

“Back off, Max.” He grabbed Victoire’s arm and pulled her onto his broom. “She’s mine.”

The two of them flew off and Max looked at me. “How about you?”

“Sure.” I said and got onto his broom.

I held onto him tightly as he started flying around and making me panic. I hated flying and he knew that but he also knew I’d only get on a broom with him and only him. He purposely flew towards things and made me believe we were gonna crash or he’d do tricks and I’d hold on for dear life. He laughed after doing all of these things then left the Quidditch field and started flying around the grounds and I knew where he was going.

Max and I had a secret place we found my third year and we have been going back there ever since. It was under a bridge and there was a small landing where we could sit and talk. The only way to get there was by broom so Max was always the one to take us there. He flew straight to the bridge and we landed and sat down. He put the broom behind us then looked at me with a smile.

“So, I get to put my name into the Goblet tonight.” He said and I sighed.

“I wish you wouldn’t.” I muttered.

“Paige, I’m gonna be fine. I probably won’t even get picked with Teddy putting his name in. He’s the one everyone wants to see doing it.”

“Then why do you have to put your name in?” I looked at him. “Why are you putting yourself at risk to do this?”

“Because I want to. It’ll be an adventure.”

“If you want an adventure, can’t you just fly around the world or something? Why do you have to do this?” Tears penetrated my eyes and he stared at me.

“Why do you care so much?”

I looked away from him and stood up. “That’s a dumb question. You’re my best friend. I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

He stood up and looked down into my eyes. “What about Teddy? He’s your friend too.”

“But Teddy can do this.”

“You don’t think I can do this?”

I sighed and felt a tear roll down my cheek. I wiped it away and said, “I know you can do it but what if something happens?”

“Paige, we don’t even know if I’m gonna be chosen and you’re acting like I already got my name called.”

“Well I’m sorry I care.” I sat back down.

He sighed and he sat down by me. He touched my arm and I looked into his eyes. “I know you care and you’re only doing this because you’re worried. But you should calm down until we know if I am.”

“Which will be tomorrow.”

He smiled. “And if my name gets called, you can worry all you want.”