Talking with Max

Talking with Max

I woke up and found my eyes were still exhausted but I didn’t want to go back to sleep. I couldn’t have the nightmare that played over and over again of Max being called again. My eyes were crusted with dry tears and my whole body just felt weak. I didn’t even want to get out of bed but knew I had to if I wanted to diverge questions from Melinda. I peeked my head out of my curtains and found the room was empty. Good. I quickly got on a pair of jeans, a sweater, and my shoes before grabbing my wand and leaving the room.

The common room had about ten students in it and they were all second and first years who were playing a game of exploding snap. None of them paid attention to me as I left the house and went into the corridor. I ignored everyone who tried to get my attention I walked to the library. That’s where I always went when I wanted to escape everybody. My friends knew that and hardly any of them bothered me except Max. I just hoped he’d refrain himself today.

Once I got to the library, I picked out a book in the Muggle Literature section and sat somewhere no one was to read alone. The story was called “Romeo and Juliet” by William Shakespeare and was my favorite. I read it every time I was in the library like this since it was the only thing that got my mind off everything. I wasn’t even sitting there for five minutes, though, when the chair next to me pulled out and Max sat down. I tried to focus on the story as he started reading a book but I knew he was waiting for me to say something. I finally took a deep breath and looked over at him. He smiled halfheartedly to me and I opened my mouth to say something but he stopped me.

“Before you say anything, you got this letter from Jason.” He said. “I know you told him I got called so just read what he has to say before we talk.” He handed me the letter and I took it.

Paige, 

Take a deep breath. You need to calm down. Max was obviously chosen because the Goblet knows he’s a strong man and can do this. I know he can too. I know there are series of life threatening tasks and something could happen to him but he can survive. It wouldn't be any easier if you didn't love him. He’s still your best friend and it’d be just as hard. We’ll talk in person soon. Your Hogsmeade trip is coming up and I’ll meet you somewhere to talk. I promise. Love you,

Jason

I put down the letter and sighed. I didn’t know what to think. Jason might have a point with Max but I wasn’t sure. I looked over at Max and he was looking at me. “What did he say?” He asked.

“Just stuff.” I answered. “Things you’ve already told me.”

“But you’re still worried?” I nodded and he sighed. “Melinda said you cried for an hour last night.”

My eyes widened. “She heard me?”

He shook his head. “No but she said you had your curtain closed and a silencing charm around the bed. She knows you were crying though.”

I looked at the book. “What was I supposed to do? My best friend got called to war.”

“It’s not war.”

“But it feels like it.” Tears filled my eyes and I stood up. I grabbed Jason’s letter and shoved it into my pocket before walking towards the door. 

Max quickly followed and waited until we were out of the library to say anything. “Why are you so set that I’m gonna get hurt?”

“Because it could happen.” I looked up at him. “You could die but you don’t care.”

“I do care but I’m focused on surviving. I have things I want to do and this is just an obstacle that I’m gonna pass.”

“You don’t know that.”

He grabbed my arm and pulled me into an empty classroom. He looked down into my eyes and said, “Paige, please stop. I know you’re worried but I need my best friend right now. I need support and I need you to believe in me.”

Tears left my eyes and I said, “I do believe in you but I’m just so scared...” I started crying heavy and he wrapped his arms around me.

“I know but I promise I’m gonna fight to survive.” He held me tight. He soon released me and looked into my eyes. “Start thinking positively. I’m gonna need that while we try to figure out the first task.”

“We?” I asked as I wiped my eyes.

“Me and you. We’re gonna sit in the library and think of anything that might be the first task.”

I took a deep breath and knew I wasn’t gonna be positive about it but I was gonna try my hardest for Max. “Ok. When Harry did it, the first task was dragons so it could be them again.”

He shook his head. “They wouldn’t use the same thing. But let’s go look up dangerous beasts.” He took my hand and dragged me back into the library.

We sat there on the library for the rest of the day looking up possible beasts that could be the first task. Max wanted to learn everything about all of them just in case any of them were it. I read out loud about all the creatures while he paced to take in all the information. I tried to be positive but reading about these beasts made me more worried about him. I tried not to let it show but sometimes I knew he could see the worry because he’d say he doubted that beast was it or that if it was, he’d be fine. We stayed in there until dinner and went down the Great Hall to eat then went to the common room to talk possibilities with Teddy. I didn’t talk much then, though. I just watched the boys talk then excused myself to go to my room. I sat down in my bed and pulled out Jason’s letter and write him a reply.

Jason,

God all of this is hard. I talked to him today but I’m still worried. We were looking at potential beasts that could be the first task and it made my fears worse. I just wish this was over now so that I wouldn’t have to worry. I can’t wait to see you when we’re in Hogsmeade. Talking with you might help me calms down. See you then,

Paige

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ So I have a cover contest going on for this book!! See the details on my profie under Friendship on Fire Cover Contest and I hope you all will enter!! Please comment and vote! Photo is nonofyourbeeswa2's entry