Possible Dates

Possible Dates

            I woke up December eleventh with a book of possible water challenges that the Champions would go through. I probably knew more about water creatures now than anyone else in Hogwarts besides the professors. Hell, maybe even them. I was definitely doing more research than Max was; which was no surprise. He, just like everyone else, was busy thinking about the Yule Ball. Girls were getting asked to it left and right and that’s all anyone could talk about. I did think it was great that we got a dance but there were more important things out there; the Tournament being one of them. But then again if the right guy would ask me, I’d be freaking out like the rest of the girls at Hogwarts but until then, I’d focus on finding out what Max would have to be doing in the Second Task.

            I got out of bed and changed into jeans and a sweater before throwing books into my book bag, grabbing a heavier jacket and my scarf and gloves, and leaving the Gryffindor Tower. I walked down to the Great Hall while reading a book about water creatures and surprisingly didn’t run into anyone. I sat down between Max and Melinda at the Gryffindor table and heard Max laugh.

            “Paige, give it a rest.” He said and took the book away from me. I tried to get it back but he threw it to Darren across the table and Darren had it disappear. I groaned and Max threw his arm around my shoulders. “The next task isn’t until the end of February. There’s plenty of time to read up on water hazards but for right now, that can wait.”

            I rolled my eyes. “You need to prepare. I’m sure Darren has started.” I looked over at him and his eyes shifted.

            “Actually, I haven’t.” He admitted.

            I sighed and Fred looked at me. “When did you turn into Aunt Hermione? Where’s the jokester Paige from last year?”

            “Gone now that she’s the only one who cares about the Tournament.” I grabbed a muffin and stood up. “I’m gonna go read.” I looked at Darren. “My book.” He made it reappear and handed it to me. “Thank you.” I took it and started to walk away.

            “You’re gonna watch Quidditch practice today, right?!” Max called after me.

            “Of course!” I yelled back and left the Great Hall.

            I put on my heavier jacket, gloves, and scarf before I walked outside into the cold and started walking towards the Quidditch stadium. I figured I could just read there until practice started and continue reading even then. I got to the stands where I usually sat and casted a small warming charm around me and started reading while I ate my muffin. I continued reading about Kappas and then thought about having Max drink some more of his potion. Maybe he’d see something more than just water that’d help me find what he’s gonna go up against. I’d have to talk about it with him later.

            Soon, the Quidditch team started flying around the stadium and Victoire and Darren sat by me and I looked up at them. Victoire smiled and said, “Teddy tells me you’ve been reading up a storm about anything and everything to do with water.”

            “And I’ll continue until I find out what Max and Darren will be going up against.” I told her.

            “But mainly Max.” Darren said and I looked over at him. “I’m just part of your cover up.”

            I shook my head and touched his arm. “No. I do care about you too. So I’m helping both. But you’re right; it’s mainly Max.”

            “See.” He smiled.

            “You should really take a break though, Paige.” Victoire said and I looked back over at her. “There’s two months before the Task and with our school work, you shouldn’t just dwell on this one thing.”