Chapter 27- Grand Slam

Start from the beginning

As I approach the large, open bay doors, I can hear evidence of work being done by the sounds of a drill clattering inside. Loud rock music pours from speakers secured to the corners of the room and the smell of motor oil lingers in the air.

Trent is crouched down by a truck tire while another worker is operating under the hood. As I step into their workplace, Trent jerks his head up and stares at me. Setting down his tool, he reaches over and picks up a remote and mutes the stereo.

"Why the hell did you turn that off, I love that song," the guy working on the engine yells.

"Because, asshole. We got company," Trent explains as he wipes his hands on a washcloth tucked in his coverall pocket.

The man turns his attention towards me. He's a young man, early twenties, I assume. Taller than Trent with broader shoulders. His long, dark hair is tied up and rests on top of his head. His coveralls are folded down, showing off his black tank top that does little to disguise his toned torso. He wipes his muscled hands off on his pant legs as he walks over to me.

"Sorry, miss," he politely says. "What can we do for you?" His right eyebrow lifts, drawing attention to a scar that runs down the middle of it and his green eyes twinkle.

"What are you doing here, Everly?" Trent asks in a bored tone.

The giant man looks back at Trent and quickly back at me and smiles, "This is Everly?"

Returning his smile, I say, "I'm sorry, you have me at a disadvantage," holding out my hand in greeting.

"Nolan Matthews. Pleased to meet you, Everly," he says shaking my hand.

"Great," Trent draws, "We all know each other's names. You need to leave, Everly," Trent asserted. "Are the guys even aware that you're here? Or did you wander off on your own again?" he challenges.

Taking a deep breath, I approach Trent. "First of all, yes. Jack knows I am here. He's the one that drove me down and is waiting in his truck outside. Second of all, we need to talk," I declared.

Walking away, Trent hollers over his shoulder, "Sorry, I met my word quota for the day." He grabs the remote and unmutes the radio.

As he starts to work on the tire again, I stomp over and crouch down beside him. "That's fine!" I holler over the noise. "I can come back tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. In fact, I can keep coming back till you talk to me. Plus, I can probably catch you when we're back at the lodge. Or, I can show up at your cabin. You know, just pop on over whenever I want," I pester.

Scoffing in frustration, Trent stomps away yelling, "You got five minutes!"

I follow him into an office space. Or, what should be an office space. Currently, it is littered with papers and complete disorder. "Is this your office?" I ask in disbelief.

"It's the shop manager's office," he states.

Lifting my brows in shock, I mutter, "Well they can't be doing a very good job managing."

"Times ticking, Everly." Trent cautions.

"Okay," I roll my shoulders back, "here it goes. Trent, you're an asshole."

Lifting his eyebrows, he drones, "Excuse me?"

"You are, Trent. You've been a jerk to me since the day I arrived and that's only when you're not trying to avoid me. You never show up for movie nights. You edge your way out of a basic conversation. I mean, you can't even say, 'good morning', you just grunt."

"Your point?" he asked, unfazed by my accusations.

"My point," I bark, clearing my throat, I clarify, "My point is that although you are an asshole to me, you still showed up when I needed you the most. You protected me because, underneath that asshole exterior, you have a heart. You care. Whether you meant to or not, you became my friend. You said some things the other night that, while maybe truthful to some degree, were hurtful in your delivery. I just want for us to forgive and forget. Move on. Can you do that?"

Trent gawks at me for a minute before I see the corner of his mouth raise just a little.

Gasping, I point at his mouth, "What was that?"

Dropping the smirk, he replies, "Nothing."

"Holy moly! You smiled, Trent!" I shriek.

"Settle down, Sandra Dee, your five minutes are up," he quips.

Willing to let it go, I smile to myself with the satisfaction of knowing that I elicited a smile from a man that smiles too little.

As I begin to walk out of the room, I accidentally knock over a stack of papers that was balanced precariously on the desk.

Bending down to pick them up, I can't help but say, "Seriously, Trent, your shop manager isn't doing a good job. This is ridiculous," I blurt.

Trent helps me gather the fallen papers. "I'm kinda between managers at the moment. Can't seem to find one that knows what the hell they're doing."

Giving him a knowing grin, "Doesn't know what they're doing, or doesn't like working for you?"

Scoffing, he states, "Touché."

Looking around the office once again a light bulb turns on, "You could totally use me here, Trent."

"What? No. No, no, no. NO. Hard pass on that," he proclaims as he walks out of the office.

Following closely behind, I plead, "Come on, Trent! It's perfect. I need a job and I can tolerate you. Plus, I have experience with machines. I am organized and well, you know," I argue.

Spinning around he places his hands on his hips, "Know what?"

Seeing that Nolan is close by and the music is off again, I mumble, "Because of the aforementioned reasoning I stated before."

"Which was?" Trent challenges.

Exasperated, I fling my hands in the air, "That you're an asshole!" I announce a little too loudly. Nolan roars in laughter.

Continuing, I explain, "I, however, am not. I can help balance you out. I can handle customer relations. I imagine that has to be a thorn in your side. I can also organize the filing, answer phones, whatever you need. What do you say?"

Narrowing his eyes in annoyance, he challenges, "I suppose if I say 'no' you'll keep coming back day after day and continue the harassment at home?"

Without hesitating, I answer, "Yes."

Sighing in defeat, Trent grunts, "Then, I guess we'll see you Monday morning." 

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖