Chapter 28

Chapter 28-October 20 Sunday Noon

       I rolled into the kitchen to find my mom making sandwiches and creating a large pile on a single plate. She glanced back at me and said, “I was just about to call you. I made your favorite.”

       “Roast beef?” I guessed as I pulled up to the table as Bekka walked into the room.

       “Of course,” my mom laughed as she set a plate onto the table before me; then she turned to my sister, asking, “Who was on the fone?”

       “The doctor was making sure that you didn’t forget Sam’s appointment,” Bekka answered as she reached into the fridge and poured two cups of chocolate milk.

       “Appointment,” I choked as I dropped my sandwich back onto the plate.

       “Yes sweetheart. Hopefully they will remove those horrible casts,” my mom explained as she sat down at the table, while my sis handed me a cup of chocolate milk.

       “They’re not so bad…” I muttered, staring at my sandwich.

       “Sam, they stink,” Bella commented and I looked up at her. “Well, they do.”

       “True,” I sighed as I picked up my glass.

       “You will be missing school tomorrow and probably karate too,” my mom warned as I took a sip of milk.

       “Ok…” I groaned before finishing my sandwich in silence.